Chapter ThirtyFive

"Mom, are you ready yet?" I scream up the stairs.

"Almost, give me like 5 more minutes!" she screams back.

"Mom!" I whine. I have Sophia in my hand and she's getting fussy. I go to the kitchen and get her some crackers to hold her off until we go to the store. My mom and I are getting some more of my things before I go off to college. I still have a long list of things that I have to get for my dorm. I was assigned a roommate not too long ago and her name is Mila Lewis. She is so nice and designing our dorm room has become so easy because we basically have the same style and colors that we like. She lives in New York and is coming to campus a day after me, so at least I'll get to pick and choose which side of the dorm I want. I want to make my dorm like a home-away-from-home with a different design than my current room is right now. So my mom and I have been going to every mall, furniture store and online website trying to find pieces to fit my vision of what I want my side of the dorm to look like. My dad never liked shopping with me and my mom (see where I get my shopping habits from) so he goes to Barnes and Noble and does work or tries to find an interesting read. Dad already left, and we were about to be right behind him leaving but mom got caught up in trying to find the perfect outfit.

"Okay, okay I'm ready," Mom comes bolting down the stairs grabbing her purse, "Let's go!" I follow her out the door and as she gets in the car, I strap Sophia in her car seat.

"Did you get Sophia's bag?" she asks me.

"Yes mom, I got everything," I say getting into the passenger seat. I buckle up my seatbelt and relax in the seat.

"Sorry Leiah, I couldn't be outside looking like who did it and what for,"

I bust out laughing and look at my mom as she's unable to hold in her laughter as well.

We ride all the way to Ikea and I'm glad we left when we did because the afternoon traffic just got started up.

"Got your list of things you want? Or should I say things you think you need?" my mom asks me unbuckling Sophia.

"Mom, I know I'm going to need everything on this list!" I protest giving a smile.

She grabs my list with her free hand while her other is trying to hold onto Sophia.

"Leiah, what do you need with a panini grill?"

"Hey, you never know! I might need to grill me a sandwich when I'm out of meals on my meal plan,"

"Sure," she rolls her eyes.

We drop off Sophia at the daycare center and me and my mom go up the stairs and start gathering the things that I need for college. I love Ikea because they have lots of unique, modern furniture and home accessories. During the college time they have everything that I need in so we don't spend too much time trying to hunt for my items. The only thing that I don't like about Ikea is that with the furniture you buy here, you have to assemble it yourself. So with the bookstand that I have and the shoe storage, my dad isn't what you would call a handyman, but I'm going to see if he can do it. Walking through the bathroom items area, my phone rings.

"Hello," I answer smiling knowing exactly who it is.

"Hey babe,"

"Hi Dennis, what's up?"

"So for the drive-in tonight, are we meeting at your house?"

"Yes, my house at seven so we have time to get over there before the movie starts at nine,"

"Okay, I wanted to make sure cause Ant was talking so fast I didn't know what she was saying,"

I laugh thinking of when Antoinette was telling us about going to the drive-in that she was so excited, she was talking a mile a minute.