Chapter ThirtyEight

I sit in the backseat staring out of the window as I sing along to the music coming from the car. We're on the highway driving to USC for move in day. We are leaving very early; before the sun even rises. I am very excited, but also a little anxious. I finally start to realize that reality is setting in and I'm starting a whole new life. The one thing that I am really worried about, is if I will make any new friends. I have always had Antoinette by my side since middle school, and now that we are going in different directions, it is a little scary knowing that she won't be here with me. Antoinette was the one who forced me to go to Dennis's party, and also the one who helped us meet our friends. I then start to think that being in college is going to have it's ups and downs, but I believe that whatever I want out of my experience, is what I'm going to get.

I lay back in my seat looking ahead towards the road. I turn towards Sophia sleeping in her car seat. I look at her sleeping until I nod off into a comfortable rest. About an hour later I feel my mom shaking me awake and telling me that we are here.

"Wake up Leiah, we're starting to unpack," she says.

I nod my head opening my eyes slowly. I stretch my arms and torso and then get out of the car to stretch my legs. I walk towards the back of the car and help my dad get my belongings out and onto the parking lot asphalt. My mom goes and unstraps Sophia. I start by carrying my boxes to the Residence Hall. I am so happy that my room is on the third floor because even though we are early, so are a dozen other girls and they are using the elevators. My dad and I walk up to my room and I unlock the door with my key. I look inside the small room that has two closets, two beds and two desks. How they can fit all of that inside this tiny room, we're still trying to figure that out.

"Nice room," my dad says letting out a laugh.

"Hey, this is just freshman year dad. There are better dorms, apartments and suites to get," I tell him as I set my box down on the left side of the room. He sets his down as well and then we go back to the car and get the rest of my belongings. It feels like days have passed by as we are finally done bringing all of my stuff up to my room. Sophia runs around the room, with the little space that we have, and mom is trying to catch her.

"Sophie, come here!" mom shouts as she tries to grab her.

"Okay, what should we do first?" my dad asks me.

"Um, let's start with the bed I guess, and then go to the desk," I reply opening up one of the boxes and then getting started.

Working on my side of the room takes just as long as it did bringing all of my stuff up. We leave the door open as we work and I see people carrying boxes, lugging suitcases and making more trips back downstairs to get more. It makes me excited seeing my future classmates walking through the halls, stressing out about move in day as I am. Dad and I are working on my desk and my mom puts my clothes in the closet. Sophia got tired from running around so she is asleep on top of my bed. It takes us an hour later to get all of my stuff situated, except for my decorations and my organizational items.

"I think that is it," my dad says. He looks around for a place to sit and then chooses my roommate's side.

My mom sits right next to him and then asks, "So, when is your roommate coming?"

"She is going to be here tomorrow. She texted me yesterday and said that she is halfway here," I reply.

"Well she's coming from New York right? I know she's going to be tired," mom says.

"Definitely. So I'm going to help her when she comes. Then we have orientation two days after; it's moving so fast,"

"It's going to move even faster when you start your classes," my dad says standing up.