16th January 1979 - Morning

16th January 1979 – Morning

Last night went well.

When we got down to Cameron’s room we all snuck inside and sat in a big circle holding hands. Like always the ball lit up and the picture became clear but this time we could hear what they were saying.

It was a pity we picked the wrong night to do it.

Nothing happened. It was just the Queen sitting on her throne as boring as ever. She did absolutely nothing and spoke to no one. After about an hour of spying everyone went back to their rooms and to bed.

I stayed with Cameron and his friends though. I wasn’t ready to leave yet so I sat beside Cameron and smiled at him. “Thank you for helping. I’m so, so sorry if Jeromy finds out that you have been involved.”

Cameron shook his head. “I don’t care. I want to know why you didn’t bring Christopher. Is it because of me?”

I shook my head. “Of course not, I just didn’t want to bring him into this. He’s not as strong as you or I. He’d cave and feel guilty and end up telling someone about everything. And to be honest I don’t really want him here. He wouldn’t let me come down and see you if he knew.”

He nodded once. “Right, one more question. Do you love him?”

I gasped. I wasn’t at all expecting him to ask such a silly, personal question. Then I sighed. “I honestly don’t know Cameron, I wish I did but I don’t. I promise you’ll know when I make up my mind though. I’ve never thought of Chris that way and I still don’t know whether I do or not.”

He smiled and touched my hand. “Genevieve, we’ve known each other forever and we’ve never had the chance to talk like this before. It seems weird that it’s only happening now. I want to fabricate a pact with you. I’ll tell everything to you if in return you do the same.”

I nodded and smiled covering his hand with my other one. “Of course Cameron, I’ll see you again tomorrow okay?”

He nodded and I walked back to my room to get some sleep.

Now I’m sitting in the middle of my bedroom doing nothing other than thinking.

I couldn’t stop thinking about Cameron’s question. Do you love him? I kept replaying it over and over in my head trying to think about how I’d answer. Did I love Christopher? Of course I did. But was I really in love with him? That’s something else entirely. For as long as I remember Christopher has been my best friend in the whole world. Was I really willing to jeopardize that?

There was only one way to find out.

I stood up, abandoning my little pity party and strutted out my room and all the way to Christopher’s.

I pushed open his door and saw him sitting at his desk with a pen and paper. He looked up when he saw me and grinned happily. He stood up and crossed the room to greet me with a warm hug.

My heart was pounding but I wasn’t sure if it was because I was nervous or a little worked up. Maybe I really did have feelings for Chris and that was them trying to prove themselves.

“What brings you here? What a lovely surprise. I haven’t seen you in days, I’m glad you’ve finally come out of your little cave.” He told me smiling widely.

I smiled back. “I had to see you.”

“How come, did you really miss me that much?” He asked, disbelieving.

I laughed trying to get something to happen. “Yes I have, can we hang out, please?”

He nodded and laughed with me. “Of course, you don’t even need to ask.”