4th February 1979

4th February 1979

It was precisely eight o clock and I was sitting on my bed reading a book. I knew I should be getting ready but Louana was busy with her dress and Mona and Serin were going to be late so I decided I’d just wait for them. I’d put on some makeup, not much just the basics, mascara, eyeliner lipstick and blush and my hair was wrapped in a towel as I waited.

There was a knock at the door and I jumped up, in my dressing gown and opened it. Of course, there was Christopher with a bouquet of red roses. I smiled. “I’m not ready yet.”

He shrugged and tried to walk inside but I stopped him. “Uh no way, can’t you wait half an hour? We can be fashionably late and make a grand entrance.”

He sighed and nodded once. “If you wish, eight thirty it is.”

Then I slammed the door in his face and turned just as Serin and Mona flashed into my bedroom. “About time.”

Serin rolled her eyes and then clicked her fingers and suddenly I was in my dress. “There you go, done. We would have done it the mundane way but that was easier.”

I laughed and shook my head. “Want to do my hair as well?”

So half an hour later I was walking down the long hallways of the kingdom with Christopher. Our arms were linked and we were walking too slowly for my liking. I sped things up a little and stopped just out the front of the ballroom and turned to him. He opened the doors and motioned me in.

I had to admit, the poor slaves had really put their souls into it. There were fairy lights everywhere. In the centre of the room was an impressive chandelier. It was made out of crystal and it sparkled beautifully. There were vases of roses and tables of red liquid that I could smell was so obviously human blood. It looked spectacular. I’d never imagined that Jeromy would want to display something so breathtaking.

Chris led me over to the table of refreshments and I downed my drink in one and then made sure that my teeth displayed no redness before he stole me away to dance. We twirled in circles for one whole song without speaking to each other. He looked relatively happy; I on the other hand was not.

“Genevieve would it kill you to enjoy yourself a little, this was supposed to make you happy.” Christopher whispered, too close to my ear.

I smiled and nodded. “It’s lovely.”

“Then what on earth is wrong?” He asked me sounding sincere.

I saw through it. I shrugged. “I don’t know I’m just feeling a little tired. I haven’t slept in a while you know. It’s been far too long.”

“What are you talking about? Genevieve you’re the only vampire I know that actually needs sleep to function properly. I honestly don’t get it. What is it with you? You’re always trying to be human.” He shook his head and sighed. “I’ll never understand.”

I looked into his eyes. “You used to understand. What happened?”

“You broke up with me.” He whispered his reply.

I almost laughed. “I broke up with you? No you were awful to me. I had no idea you could be like that Chris. I’d never seen that side of you and it scared me. I really wanted to stay friends. We were so good at that.”

“I know and I’m so sorry Genevieve. Can we go back to that, being friends I mean? I miss the days when we could talk for hours. I miss being friends with you Gen. I don’t want to walk away from this ball knowing you still hate me.” He whispered, his eyes never leaving mine.

“Let’s say I forgave you, it would take a while for you to ever earn my trust back.” I told him quietly. “But being friends with you kept me sane for a while. It’s weird not having you around.”