Chapter 4- Mystified

A blondes high pitched chuckle echoes through the large white room. Most of the inmates turned to look at us and I gave them a awkward smile before turning to look back at Harley, Ivy and Ella."Where's the boys anyway?"I asked the two girls curiously."Therapy."Ivy said sounding rather bored."What did Dr.Crane want last night?"Ella asks me with a smirk on her lips."He was just checking up on me...why?"Harley did a little squeal."Its true love!"She spoke in a distinctive squeaky Brooklyn accent."It's nothing to do with love. He's just an attractive guy that happens to be my psychiatrist..."I say with a huff."Yeah right. Clearly you're in denial..."Ivy adds to the annoying conversation."Nevermind..."I say with a annoyed sigh."Do you think he heard our conversation last night?"I shake my head at her."he didn't act any different nor did he say anything..."Ivy rolls her eyes at me."That doesn't mean anything. Men are talented liars and excellent hiders."Harley nods at me, she was sat on the table kicking her legs like a child."It's true! Mistah J lies to me and tricks me all the time!"I perk a brow at her."Harls that's awful..."Ella nods at me."She's right Harley that's horrible..."Harley shrugs at us."Lauren the man you're falling for...you need to be cautious..."Ivy tells me and Ella agrees with her. I perk a brow at them."Why?"A guard comes over to take me to my next appointment with Dr.Crane before anyone can answer.

Walking down the corridor that's all I could think of, then it hit me...Scarecrow...all.the patients would talk about a scarecrow. The guard shoved me into the room and uncuffed me. "No need to be so rough!"I yelled to the guard before he left and then I huffed pacing around the room...scarecrow...scarecrow...scarecrow...what does it mean?

Suddenly the door opened and Dr.Crane walked in."Good afternoon Lauren..."He says while sitting down, he looked tired. I sit myself down across from him."You okay doc? Ya look a little worn out..."He nods while opening his briefcase and pulling out his notepad and pen."I was working late..."I nod at him not wanting to be rude and ask what on."So Lauren, I realized that I never asked you about your college life."He starts getting right to the interview."No messing about today huh?"He gives me a half smile while looking up at me."Well...it's okay to be honest depending on my mood. There are certain people who can push me into a state of anger but I just basically tell them to fuc--Nevermind..."I say smirking to myself and Jonathan jots down notes letting out a slight laugh."What do you study?"He asks keeping his eyes on the paper."Animal care."I answer him while watching his every movement, maybe the guys were right. He looks so sweet, caring, innocent but maybe he was just a great liar, the strange thing is...I hope he is lying, the thought of him being dangerous makes me even more attracted to him.

I was lost in thought I didn't even realise that he'd asked me another question. He looks up at me and smirks to himself."Lauren?"I snap out of it and look into his eyes."I'm sorry...I was just thinking about something...What did you say?"Dr.Crane looks back down at his paper."Is there a specific part of animals you specialize in? Or that interests you?"I nod at him and smile."Reptiles, snakes mostly. My friends call me the snake whisperer because I have a passion with them..."I explain to him with a grin."Any topics you enjoy?"I think to myself for a moment."Biosecurity...I enjoy researching zoonotic diseases."Crane grins at me, enjoying the fact I'm smarter than I look."Why don't you tell me a little about zoonotic diseases?"I tilt my head at him."You're the doctor, you've been to medical school, surely you know what a zoonotic disease is."Crane nods giving me a slight smile."I know I do, look at this as a test."He says while sitting back in his seat and looking at me."Fair enough. A zoonotic disease is a disease that is passed from animals to humans. They can be caused from anything from a virus to bacterial infections or parasites and even fungi. They are common and scientists say that 6 out of 10 infectious diseases in humans are caused by animals."I tell Dr.Crane confidently and he smirks."You really don't belong in here."I smile to myself and look down blushing lightly."I'm glad you think so."Dr.Crane closes his notepad and puts it back in his briefcase."The guards tell me you have been refusing to eat anything, why?"Crane asks while keeping eye contact with me."I haven't been hungry...plus the food here doesn't look particularly appealing."I tell him the truth while keeping eye contact with those eyes I could stare into all day."You need to eat Lauren. You may be being released today but you still need your energy."I nod at him with a smile."I'm glad you care doc but I'll be fine."He lets out a deep sigh and I know I shouldn't ask him this but I had to."Dr.Crane...may I ask you something?"He nods his head while looking over at me."Who's scarecrow?"I ask him watching his reactions closely. Dr.Crane takes a deep breath in and glances at his briefcase before looking back at me and confidently saying."Nobody you need to worry about."I take in what he says, is he scarecrow? Or does he know this scarecrow? There's so much questions unanswered. I want to know who he is."How do you know about him?"Dr.Crane asks me curiously."A few friends in here told me about a few patients saying they saw scarecrow..."Dr.Crane stands up slowly before taking his briefcase."I think we're done here Miss.Dixon..."He says while slowly walking to the door."I hope you'll come and say goodbye if I get to go home..."I say to him before he leaves."We'll see."He says before opening the door and leaving.