Cafeteria

Chapter Two (Cafeteria: Part One)

Perry

I guess I was out of luck.

I slurped on my half empty milkshake loudly. It was lunch time and it was boring. I was hoping to see a glimpse of my brothers but they were nowhere to be seen. I wonder what they're up to right now.

"Stop doing that, Perry," Lobby told me from across the table. "It sounds horrible."

I slurped even more loudly just to annoy her.

"So, how'd you do in Art class, Perry?" Daryl asks me. "Mr. Wilson tasked out some art projects for us last week and all I did was a mess. I told him that his class sucked and that arts sucks and you know what he told me? 'Just keep on trying, Daryl.' I'm done with trying!"

I was sitting with my friends on our table at the cafeteria, the usual thing we do when there's nothing else to do during lunch time.

We've been friends ever since we met each other on orientation day. Well, they were friends first for a very long time then they met me when they were sneaking out the auditorium while I was running late while headed to attend the orientation. It's safe to say that I have two crazy brothers and I have three crazy friends. What a life.

"What'd you do for your art project?" Lobby asked.

Lobby Rogens. When you're having a fashion crisis, you go to her. All she ever thinks about is fashion. And boys. And she's good, really good. (With fashion, not boys.) How she managed to stay fashionable and in style wearing our dull and boring school uniforms, I have no idea yet she somehow pulls it off great.

"I didn't do anything," Daryl muttered.

Daryl Byrne, a photographer for the school paper. He's actually the mastermind behind every crazy antic they pull. Yes, they. Not we, because I always exclude myself from all their stupid escapades. I've had enough craziness from my brothers already.

"Typical," Angie clucked.

And Angela Kerr, she's the sporty and athletic one. All she thinks about is balls.

You know, balls you use in sports. And to show her devotion, she always wears her volleyball uniform underneath her school uniform.

And then, there's me. I guess I can say that I'm the precocious one in the group. But, really, I'm just the boring one.

The one who always try to keep out of trouble.

The one who always tries very hard to be prim and proper.

Yep, that's me.

"Did you see that poster by the school's boulevard?" Lobby asks. "It says something about a school dance. Like a prom or something."

"Yeah, it was posted last week," Daryl said.

"So, we're going to have prom?" I asked, joining in on the conversation.

Angie blinked and nearly choked on her burger. "Yeah, I saw it, too. It's only weeks away," she said between munches. "It's strange. The school's never ever had semi formal events for ages."

"I know why," Daryl grins mysteriously.

"Why?" This was me.

With the weird contorted smile still on his face, he looked at all of us one by one as he shifted on his seat for a more comfortable position.