Detention (Part One)

Chapter Four (Detention: Part One)

Perry

Detention for four hours is the worst thing.

We've been sitting on our desks for ages doing nothing (I did try to occupy myself by doodling on my book but got fed up) and my back was starting to hurt from sitting too long. I sighed and groaned again for the hundredth time and tried to make myself comfortable, shifting around. My fingers drummed on the desk as I watched the time on my watch tick.

Mr. Henderson, the guidance counselor (also the Gym teacher) who was supposed to be in charge of us and giving us punishments, was snoring on his desk halfway through Dreamland. Singer was throwing pieces of crumpled paper he was tearing from an old book at him for the whole time now but he didn't seem to notice. I bet even if Harry got bored and decided to chuck the whole book at him, he wouldn't stir.

I still can't believe I'm on detention. Our offense: insolent behavior and profanity. The worst part: was having to stay in this old dusty classroom located on the third floor of the West Wing of the school's main building. Nobody uses the west wing anymore. The Year Twelve's who used to occupy this part were moved to the newer buildings so now the place was mostly for storage and well, detention classes. Plus it was facing the West Sides, which was the downside of it all.

Just some fun facts, did you know that in Ancient Egypt the west was considered to be a portal to the netherworld? From some books I've found while snooping in the library, I've read how the west was also called 'the place of darkness' because that's where the sun supposedly sets. Well, if it isn't that creepy.

So, let me tell you about the West Sides. It's the part in our school where nobody goes anymore. We were never allowed to set foot on the place. Everybody says it's haunted. Besides, you have to go through this small patch of woodland first before reaching it then there's a huge brass gate that blocks the entrance. I've never been in there but some students, who were idiots, tried sneaking in there. And two of them are my brothers. No doubt they tried breaking in. A huge gate won't stop them from going in there especially if it was really haunted like everybody says.

I glanced over at Harry who was sitting comfortably near the windows with his legs propped up his desk. He was listening to his Dr. Beats headphones with his eyes closed.

How can he be so calm like that knowing that he was missing a couple of his classes? I, on the other hand, was all worried about that quiz in English I was supposed to be taking right now.

He opened his eyes and snapped at me. "Is there a problem?"

I opened my mouth to speak but found no words to say.

"Why do you keep on staring? I know I am really that glorious to look at but please –"

"Did you really make out with fifty two girls?"

My eyes widened. It just suddenly slipped out. I didn't mean to ask that. He raised his eyebrows and I thought for one second he might wring my neck.

I felt all the color drain from my face when he rose from his seat. My heart thumped wildly and I tried to look away. You are not supposed to ask questions like that, Perry. That was stupid.

A smirk curved on his lips. The way he was looking at me gave me the chills. Is he going to beat me up?

"Well," he said, taking off his headphones. "Where ever you heard that rumor, you've probably heard it wrong."