'Ghost Hunt, I'm Afraid'

Chapter Twelve ('Ghost Hunt, I'm Afraid')
Perry

With a shrug, Harry jogged towards the old structure and I followed suit, careful not to make any sound so as not to disturb anything. Harry on the other hand was practically creating a ruckus. He was attempting to pry open the doors, which were surprisingly still sturdy despite probably being made out of ancient wood. He cursed out loud when it wouldn't budge.

"Maybe it's a sign that we shouldn't be in here," I tell him.

"You worry too much," he said, a look of determination on his face.

"Look, Harry, I still have a big quiz tomorrow – aack!"

I screamed when reached he held my head still and plucked off something from my hair. He gave me a haughty look when he showed me a pin that he got from my hair.

Handing me the light, he crouched and snapped the pin into two, pushing it inside the lock, twisting and turning it. All that with a focused look on his eyes and his tongue sticking out ever so slightly.

It didn't open.

"Wow. Very clever," I rolled my eyes.

He let out a frustrated sigh and kicked the door, making me jump. The doors swung back with a heavy creak, slamming against the wall.

"There! I'm a genius, see!"

Yeah, right, a genius. And he didn't even think of pushing the door instead of just pulling it.

The darkness inside was so dense so I shone the light and peered inside where a large hallway, bare and empty, greeted us. Nothing much to see except for some undistinguishable clutter on the grimy floors as well as a wide staircase that turned and twisted towards an upper floor.

Harry grinned and broke into a run towards the stairs like an exuberant child on a field trip. I sighed and followed suit, cautiously glancing around. I swear this place is giving me the chills.

The second floor looks very much the same like the ground floor except that it's got giant windows where very little light passes through. I begin to notice how similar this place's structure was to our buildings back at the school.

Shining the light across the rows of doors that must've been classrooms, I called out Harry's name ever so quietly.

I stood alone in the empty corridor. There was no sign of Harry and it was eerily quiet. I could see particles of dust swirling around the beam of light coming from my flashlight. The darkness was pressing into me, its weight heavy on my shoulders. My only beacon was my flashlight but it produced only a small beam of light and made the darkness around me thicker.

The silence was unbearable. It was so, so quiet that I started to think I could hear quiet whispers near my ear. Wherever did that idiot go now?