Rooftop Rendezvous

Chapter Nine (Rooftop Rendezvous)

Perry

I lay in my bed watching the white washed ceiling above me. The room was dark and silent with only the moon softly shining through the window serving as the lone source of light. I could hear the soft snores coming from my roommates. Everyone was already fast asleep, everyone but me.

And probably Harry Singer, too. It was weird that my thoughts shifted to him but I imagined him out there, probably waiting and lurking around the dark. Or was he? I couldn't help smirking. Nice try, Harry, but I am way, way smarter than you.

Did he actually think that I'd go out there without suspecting that he could have just set me up? I had a hunch that he was just trying to get me to go out and not show up so I'll end up wandering alone in the dark until I run into creepy old Mr. Graves.

I know the likes of him. He loves toying with people, especially with girls.

Sighing, I closed my eyes to sleep. It was late. I should be trying to get some sleep anyway.

I wasn't so sure if I had fallen asleep or I almost was falling asleep but something woke my senses and I snapped my eyes open. There was a faint noise. I held my breath and listened closely. It was coming from the window. The one that was just right above my head.

It sounded like something tapping against it. Or perhaps someone. Being the idiot I am, I sat up to check and nearly fainted when I see this dark shadow looming outside.

The shadow perked up when it saw me and it tapped the glass more. Biting my lip to keep myself from screaming and waking up the whole dormitory, I reached for the nearest weapon I could bash the intruder with – a Physics schoolbook lying on top of my dresser.

The intruder was now prying the window open and I swear I heard it chuckle as I fumbled in the dark for my flashlight and shone it straight into the glass.

"Hey, switch that off!"

I knew it.

"What the hell?" I hissed, pushing the window open. "You almost gave me a heart attack! How the hell did you get there?"

He rolled his eyes. "Duh, I climbed."

"You shouldn't be in here!" I yell as silently as possible while casting worried glances at my peaceful roommates.

"Do you really think I'm that stupid? Of course, I knew you weren't coming," he said. "So I'm making sure that you are coming. Now come on."

He held out his hand to me.

"You're not expecting me to climb through a window and go with you," I crossed my arms.

"It's the most genius way," he told me. "Now, come on or do you want me to wake them other girls? Boy, now I think I want to climb inside your room and check your roomies out."

He was too loud and I was afraid he'd wake the other girls up or possibly invite the matron in.

Sighing grudgingly, I grabbed his outstretched arm and he pulled me out where the cold immediately greeted my face with a big hello.

"You like holding my hand?" he asked.

I pulled away. His hand felt cold, anyway. Not to mention soft but – ugh. "You were the one holding mine and for your information, it is not a pleasant experience."

He snickered. "Well, that experience is entirely exclusive, Miss Moxley. Every girl would die just to hold me, count yourself lucky," he said, prompting me to roll my eyes.

He made me follow him through the maze of gables and turrets while my heart palpitated feverishly against my ribs. It was a death wish. The building was very old that moss had started to build up on the roofs. One wrong move would send me straight down six feet underground. I wasn't feeling very fortunate when I slipped and nearly did a split atop my dorm if Harry hadn't turn and grabbed me. He laughed cruelly at my near demise. I wonder what would happen if everybody woke up to find Harry on top of the girl's dormitory.

Stopping by the edge of the roof, he looked down fearlessly, placing his fists on his waist like a superhero wannabe. With him just standing there made me feel queasy. I was afraid that he'd topple down with one strong gust of a wind, although that could be a good thing.

"We're going down," he announced then proceeded to climb down the old water sprout covered with vines.

"Don't tell me you climbed that thing just to get up here," I said.

"Nope, I used the fire exit, actually," he grinned. "But it's on the backside of the building so suit yourself if you want to go all the way around."

Oh, that evil being. I wish I could crawl back to the safety of my room but without Harry navigating me through the roof, I might wander straight into somebody else's room or worse – slip and plunge into my death.

Harry climbed down the water spout expertly like some spider monkey, his coat billowing behind him. Halfway down, he glanced up to give me a grin before sliding down the rest of the way and jumping down the ground feet first. If it were any other person, I would've been impressed.

"Your turn!" he called.

My legs wobbled unsteadily as I crouched down the roof. Harry only made it look easy. It was definitely not.

"You're gonna take full responsibility if I die, Harry Singer!"

I maneuvered myself down the spout, jamming my foot into the chipped parts of the brick wall looking for toeholds. It was impossible to have a good grip since my hands had become clammy and I kept on mistakenly grabbing for vines. They were now frail and weak as a sponge cake and now completely useless to me – my hands.

"I can see up your skirt," Harry chuckled.

My mouth was about to fire him a curse when I hear something snap. I think my life may have flashed right before my eyes before my brain could comprehend that my dodgy mitts have grabbed yet another vine.

"Oh, sh–" Harry blurted out followed by a colorful expletive.