Flyers

Chapter Twenty Two (Flyers)

Perry

The heels of my shoes clicked against the academy's black and white tiled floors as I treaded heavily across the half empty corridor. The dimly lit hallway's gloomy atmosphere made me feel worse. I sniffed, and shook my head. Good God, Perry, get a grip of yourself.

I received a few odd glances from some student passing by followed by hushed giggles. At first, I shrugged it off thinking it was nothing but then it became too uncomfortable.

"Hey, Perry!" A tall girl whose name I couldn't recall sneers at me. "How's it feel like being a celebrity?"

I stared at her. She was waving a piece of paper around, smiling cockily so I let my gaze wander around. Almost everyone seemed to be holding the same piece of paper as her. I walked over towards a student who happened to be sharing a copy with a friend and having a good laugh. Storming towards them, I snatched the flyer away. I knew it was very unlike me but I didn't care.

The room started to spin. I was trembling. All around, students were carrying the same flyers with them. Their cruel laughter echoed against my ears. Eyes were on me. I couldn't breathe. I had to get out. Pushing past the students, I fled the corridor.

I was out of breath when I reached the notice board, where some students were crowding over. I squeezed past them until I reached the front and my blood ran cold. My lip quivered and tears threatened to spill out.

There were posters all over the board with my picture in it along with undesirable words written in lipstick marks.

PERRY MOXLEY IS A BIG FAT WHORE

It was written in big, fat, horrifying bold letters.

"Well, well, so you're like a closeted slut or something?" says a guy from my year, smirking derisively.

I pretended not to have heard him as I stood there staring at the board. All the other kids murmuring we're starting to get in my head, droning like bees in my ears. This was all too much.

"Alright, people! Show's over, now scoot off!"

I turn to see my friends shooing off the crowd like they were the SWAT. And as the crowd parted, the twins stood there staring. It made me feel even worse. Rusty's eyes were set on the board and slowly he comes over before ripping the posters one by one.

"Everybody in the hall, clean this mess up or you will face serious consequences!"

The student body immediately dispersed like smoke when the head boy arrived. He's got this same effect on them like the headmistress has. Everybody respected him.

Rusty was looking at me with a sympathetic gaze. But I couldn't bear to meet anybody else in the eye. I didn't want to be in that kind of situation, drawing attention, standing in the spotlight. I shook my head at him and turned away before they could even say anything.