10

3+ comments/votes for the next chapter! I'm looking forward to writing the next chapter, this chapter is the final moment of calm before the storm. Thank you to those who have voted and commented on previous chapters :)

'Jace!'

It had been twenty-four hours since Jace had found Adelaide with Clary and in those twenty-four hours he had managed to avoid any sort of conversation with the red headed girl. Until now.

'Jace! We have to talk about this!' Clary called as she followed him down the halls of the institute. Isabelle and Alec were in a meeting with their parents, a meeting Jace didn't feel like attending.

'No we don't.'

Clary followed him anyway, wedging her foot between his door and doorframe as he tried to shut it on her.

'Jace.'

Jace sighed and let the girl in, closing the door behind her.

'What?' His tone of voice was cold.

'You need to talk about it. I can tell.' Clary perched herself on Jace's bed, waiting for him to speak.

After a few moments he sighed. He supposed she was right. He was still incredibly angry at Adelaide but guilt for the poisoned words he had spoken was beginning to seep into his mind.

'What do you want me to say?' He sat beside her, putting enough distance between them so they weren't touching.

Clary didn't speak for a few moments. 'How did you know it was her?'

Jace hadn't expected that. 'What?'

'Her back was turned, you couldn't see her face and yet you still knew it was her.' Curiosity was evident in Clary's tone.

'I know-Knew her as well as Alec and Isabelle. I'd know her anywhere.'

Clary nodded. 'But still, something must have given it away.'

Jace nodded reluctantly. 'Her parabatai rune, and the scar on her neck.'

'Scar? I didn't notice any scar?'

Jace laughed humourlessly. 'If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't even notice it. When we were fifteen Adelaide and I were training, messing around with things we shouldn't have been. There was a seraph blade I'd found in Maryse's office that glowed a strange colour and I challenged Adelaide to a fight with it. She thought she could beat me even if I had a different, unissued, blade.'

'What happened?'

'The blade was hidden away like it was because it had been forged using demon poison. It was a weapon against shadowhunters. I cut Adelaide with it and halfway through our fight she collapsed. It almost killed her. One little scrape was enough to take her out. She eventually healed with the silent brothers help but that scar is still there.'

Clary looked shocked. 'You nearly killed her?'

Jace rolled his eyes. 'It was an accident. We were kids.'

'She's seriously good at what she does though. I can't see her losing to you.' Clary spoke slyly.

Jace scoffed. 'The both of us are good shadowhunters; we've fought each other multiple times. I'll win and she'll lose and the next time she wins and I lose.'

'I think it would be interesting watching you fight her. She told me the two of you hated each other for a while. I can imagine your training would have been... intense.'

Jace laughed despite himself. 'Adelaide and I would be a good fight, but you should see her and Alec get into it. They're unrelenting and vicious with each other when it comes to competition. '