18

3+ Comments 4+ Votes for the next chapter! :) xo

Also huuuuge thank you to mojo_ballentine who nominated Smokescreen for Best Underrated Fic in the Shadowhunters Fanfic Awards! That was so sweet to wake up to - thank you! xo

*****

'What's going on?' Alec asked warily and both he and Isabelle sat in their father's office, facing both of their stern faced parents.

'Sit.' Maryse's voice was tight with tension and Alec noticed his Father sigh from his chair, looking away from the small group in front of him.

'It's no surprise Jace isn't here.' Robert remarked, his lips tightening into a thin line as he noticed the absence of the arrogant blonde. Maryse stood beside her husband stiffly, her body tensing more as Jace's absence became noticed.

'He got held up. Said to start without him.' Isabelle defended her adoptive brother gently, though her own body was tight with tension.

'I'm sure he has a good reason.' Maryse spoke, looking away from her two children towards Robert, her voice softening slightly as she spoke of the blonde.

'Your mother and I –' Maryse shot him a sharp look. 'Okay, I requested a meeting at the clave to inform them that the Seelies are siding with Valentine...'

'And the clave denied it.' Maryse tone became accusatory as Isabelle shifted uncomfortably.

'What do you mean? They don't want you coming to Idris?' Alec's brow furrowed in confusion.

'There are rumours that local shadowhunters have been interfering in downworld affairs. But you two wouldn't know anything about that, right?' Maryse's eyes narrowed slightly.

'Nada' Isabelle shook her head at the same time Alec spoke. 'No.'

'Since all this happened here in New York, under our command, they are concerned with our devotion to our job and the cause.'

'But we're the Lightwoods.' Isabelle spoke in disbelief. Her family was highly regarded in the shadowhunter community.

'Remember, the honour isn't in the name, it's in the deed.' Robert reminded his daughter. 'As you know, the clave is sending an envoy who will be arriving at any moment,' Robert spoke solemnly.

'She will be coming to observe us..' Maryse spoke.

'And to gather information about Valentine to report back-'

'But really, to scrutinize our leadership, so I beg of the two of you, don't do anything that would cause the clave to lose even more trust in us.' Maryse spoke over her husband, finishing her words bitterly.

Alec looked at his sister who looked back at him with wide eyes. Even as they spoke, Jace and Clary were breaking the clave's rules.

*****

Alec walked through the institute, irritation all over his face when he felt a small tug on his hand and he looked down, his face softening at the appearance of his little brother.

'Alec, you think you could get my stele back?' He asked Alec, a small pout on his face.

'They took it away because you nearly burnt down the Mumbai institute.' Alec spoke, a note of amusement in his voice.

'How many times do I have to say it was an accident?' Max shook his head in exasperation as he looked up at his much taller brother.

Alec put a hand out, grabbing his brothers arm gently, bending down until he was eye level with the youngest Lightwood.