Chapter 16

I wake up on a hospital bed. My vision is slightly fogy due to the immense brightness of the lights. I see Jesse by my side in a chair with Elizabeth asleep next to him in her pram.

I take the cup of water set next to me, in my hand and take a few small sips. I turn to look the other way, finding a woman with her head resting on my bed. I smile softly and move my hand from under her grip, softly stroking her beautiful hair.

She starts to stir. I smile at her as she looks up at me. As soon as she sees my eyes are open, she leans over and presses her lips against mine passionately.

"I thought I lost you." She says with panic laced in her voice.

"It's takes more than a beating to stop me." I say slightly joking.

"Why is it, that I get the vibe you've had worse beatings." I sigh softly and caress her cheek softly.

"I don't think it's wise, me telling you everything I've been through." Caroline frowns slightly.

"What makes you say that?" She asks.

"No good would come from it. And the only outcome would be you angry, frustrated or having the urge to be physically sick." I say honestly.

"I love you." She says softly.

I smile and kiss her lips slowly and passionately.

"I love you too." I say.

Soon Jesse wakes up and so does my beautiful baby girl. Alejandro poked his head through the door a few hours after I had awoken.

"Has anyone called the police?" Caroline asks after a few hours.

Jesse and I look at each other before shaking our heads. We've never been ones to ask for help.

"I'll go do it." Jesse says. Standing up and taking Elizabeth with him.

I move over on the bed, pulling up the sheets for Caroline to lay down next to me. She does so without me asking her to. She lays down next to me with one of her arms above my head, her hand stroking my hair softly as I play with the buttons on her light blue blouse.