Chapter 40

"Here you go,Eydis." Dagur said,handing Eydis a crossbow. "Have fun." He laughed. Eydis stood there,holding the crossbow,staring at StarSong,when-

"Woohoo!!!" Tuff and Ruff yelled,as something exploded behind Barf and Belch.
"What are they doing here?!?" Dagur yelled,as something else exploded. Eydis smiled. She looked up and saw Hiccup and Toothless flying up high. Another something exploded,sending peices of wood towards Eydis. "Oh hey,Eydis! Sorry 'bout that!" Tuffnut yelled to Eydis as Barf and Belch flew by.
"Somebody capture that ZippleBack!" Dagur yelled. A net was shot towards them,but they dodged,and got away. Hiccup and Toothless swooped down to get Eydis,but missed because nets were being shot at them. Toothless dodged them and flew back up into the sky. Eydis then saw Astrid,Fishlegs,and Snotlout race in towards StarSong,but flew back because arrows were being shot at them,as well as nets,and boulders.

"Hiccup,we can't get near StarSong!" Astrid said, "There's too many arrows and nets,we can't get close enough!"

"I know! I can't get close enough to Eydis." Hiccup said. "How do we get them then?" Fishlegs asked. "Hold on. I'm thinking." Hiccup said. "More explosions?" Tuff asked. "I got it!" Hiccup said, "We'll blast out the net catapults,and the arrow catapults. The other catapults will be no problem. That's when we rescue Eydis and StarSong." He said. "Alright. When?" Astrid asked. Hiccup smirked,and jumped on Toothless, "Right now."

"Come on,Hiccup." Eydis whispered, "Where are you?" Suddenly,Toothless and Hiccup came flying out of the woods,and straight towards the catapults. "Now,Toothless!" Hiccup yelled. Toothless shot plasma blasts at the catapults,blasting them to pieces. 

"No!" Dagur yelled. Arvid scowled. "So that's the Hiccup you told me about?" Arvid asked Dagur. "Yes. And he can be quite annoying." Dagur answered. "He doesn't look like much." Arvid said. "Oh but he is. He is too much." Dagur said.

"Go Hiccup!" Eydis yelled. 

"So,how about we make her do it now,eh,Dagur?" Arvid asked,smirking. "It's alright by me." Dagur answered. "Now!" Arvid said to a couple guards. The guards walked up to Eydis,each one holding a crossbow. She gasped. "Well,Eydis? Aren't you going to shoot?" Dagur asked. "We're waiting." He laughed. "No! I won't! I won't hurt StarSong." Eydis said. "Guards." Dagur said. They lifted up their crossbows and pointed them at Eydis. "Go ahead and do what you want,but I won't kill StarSong." Eydis said. "That can be arranged." Arvid said. Eydis held her breath,waiting for the guards to shoot. But they didn't.

Suddenly something exploded.

"Ruff! Tuff! Not yet!!" Astrid yelled. "It wasn't us! We swear!" Ruff said. "Then who was it?" Astrid asked. "I'm thinking it was that." Tuff said,pointing towards a ship with catapults that shoot flaming rocks. Another boulder flew into the air,crashing into the hill that Astrid and the twins were on,causing an explosion. "Oh no." Astrid said,looking out at sea,and seeing more ships coming. "C'mon! We have to tell Hiccup!"

Eydis gasped,realizing Dagur and Arvid were going to kill Hiccup and the rest of the gang if she didn't kill StarSong. "So,will you do it now?" Dagur asked. "Either we kill your friends,or you kill your dragon. You decide." Arvid said, "Which one will it be,Eydis?" Eydis looked at StarSong,then at Astrid and the twins flying back into the forest,then back at StarSong,then at Dagur and Arvid. "Neither." She said. "Oh come on. Where's the fun in that?" Dagur asked. 

One of the gaurds shoved Eydis,causing her to loose her balance and fall. As she fell,she triggered the crossbow that she was holding,shooting an arrow. Dagur laughed,as Eydis stood up. She threw the crossbow to the ground. Pulling out her staff,she quickly knocked out the guards,and pushed Arvid to the ground,then Dagur. "You good-for-nothing idiots better stay away from my brother and my friends." Eydis said. 

"Eydis!" Hiccup yelled,sounding upset. Eydis looked over to where she heard Hiccup's voice come from,to see Hiccup,Astrid,Raynor,and the rest of the gang surrounding something. She ran over to them. "What's wrong?" She asked. Snotlout,Fishlegs,and Astrid stepped away,to show Eydis what was wrong.

There,in the midst of everyone,lying on the ground,was a bleeding StarSong,with a red-stained arrow sitting on the ground next to her. Eydis gasped,and fell on her knees next to StarSong. "No." She whispered. "No! You can't die! StarSong,please. Don't leave me." Eydis sat on the ground,crying. 

"I did this." She whispered,as she lowered her head. 

"Eydis..." Hiccup whispered,kneeling next to Eydis,putting a hand on her shoulder,as StarSong took her final breath. Eydis shook him off. "No. StarSong,please..." Eydis stood up,turned and faced the gang,and taking a shaky breath,said, "I did this. After everything StarSong did for me,I'm the one who killed her." She looked at the ground. "No matter what,she... she stayed by me. And how do I repay her?" Eydis turned around again,now facing StarSong's limp body. "I'm sorry,StarSong. That I can't fix this mistake." Eydis sighed,then turned and headed towards the beach. 

"Uh,I hate to ruin this moment,but where's Dagur?" Tuff asked. "I don't know. He must've slipped away without us noticing." Hiccup said,watching Eydis sit on the beach.

"Hiccup." Astrid said,putting a hand on Hiccup's shoulder. "She needs you now more than ever." Hiccup sighed,looking at the ground. He looked up at Eydis,and walked over to her.

"Hey,I-uh. I'm sorry." Hiccup said,sitting next to Eydis. Eydis stared out into the ocean,tears streaming down her face. "I... I know that...I don't know how you feel. But...Eydis..."

"Hiccup,what have I done?" Eydis asked,crying harder. "What did she did do deserve this?" Hiccup sighed,holding Eydis in his arms. "Eydis,it wasn't your fault." Hiccup said, "Don't even think that for a moment." Eydis sighed,

 "If only I could believe that."