Ch. 38 Bubble Tea Time

We sit in the corner of a bubble tea cafe. Noni was next to Jake and was chewing on a tapioca. Her expression changing with every chew, not sure if she liked it or not. Jake, on the other hand, is scrolling through his phone, and I was swirling my straw around.

"So," I began. "When did this happen?"

"Oh... right, that's a good question," Noni says as she swallowed the tapioca ball. She crosses her arms and leans back into the booth. "I guess, last year?"

"Yup, last year," Jake confirmed as he was in the middle of texting.

"And you didn't inform me because?" I questioned.

"Because you would've told Samantha, and Samantha would've told the whole school. Not the point, it's not like we were official or anything. We just talked... and had a side fling," Noni mumbled out the last bit. Ayana was so right, they did sleep together. I'm an idiot for sticking up for Jake and saying no. "But then I heard you were playing make believe couple with Jake, so I had to come back and see this."

"Oh, yeah, that. Also, don't say it like that, it makes it sound like we're on a reality tv show," I cringe as Noni offers up a laugh.

"That and Jake told me about your boy toys. So, I naturally had to come back. You know, to see how hot they were," Noni gives me a smile. Jake looks over at her and she slowly turns her head toward him. He shakes his head in disapproval as Noni gives him a dumbfounded look.

"Great, thanks Jake. I can always count on you," I mumble. Jake sighs as folds his arms on the table.

"Anyways, what the hell are you going to do now? Everything's going out of control, especially at school," he points out.

"You can always withdraw and go to Riley Academy," Noni says. I shake my head, withdrawing would just mean that I'm running away. I'd practically gave Nick what he wanted.

"No, I have to explain it to them. Besides, it's a mess either way," I sigh as I swish my drink around in its plastic cup.

"Well, I guess we sort of helped with that," Jake says as he finally decided to participate in the conversation. "Noni and I talked big, and well, saying how you two are related, the Beaumont's have a rep for being like real life princesses. I mean, if you think about it, you guys wouldn't hesitate to buy a crystal crown if you thought it was cute."

"I would've if my mom didn't cut me off," Noni mumbles.

"Anyways," Jake clears his throat. "It's probably why the school blew up the way it did. I didn't even think you were a tomboy, I just thought you were prissy and snobby like Nons."

"Thanks babe, your words really left a mark in my heart," Noni replies eyeing Jake with a death glare. She shakes her head while turning her attention back to me. "Well just show them you can do both. Go to the winter formal ad show off them hot legs and great ass. Once people see you haven't changed that much, you'll be fine."

"I wish I could, but Winter Formal is on the same day as the Finals," I remind her.

"That could be a problem," she agrees.

"So what are you going to do now?" Jake asks. I look out the window of the bubble tea bar and pick up my cup. That was the question, wasn't it? What am I going to do?

~~~~~

I lay on one of Jake's couches, my arms and legs hanging like spaghetti noodles. Jake had a shoot after our bubble tea session, and Nons went god-knows where. So I was left at home, by myself, in my boy shorts and my button up. I didn't see the point in looking decent. Alphonse was out on vacations this week, the guys were at school, and there was no one around. No harm done, right?

"Jaz what the hell are you doing?" I hear the oh so lovely sound of Lucas' voice from the entrance.

"Contemplating life," I monotonously answer. I don't even bother getting up, I'm that lazy right now.

"Do you want to do it with pants on?" he asks while dropping his bag on the ground. It hit with a heavy thud and I shake my head.

"It's not a requirement," I reply.

"Do you know where Jake keeps the first-aid kit?" he asks. I close my eyes trying to remember where Jake puts his stuff.

"Try the cabinet under the sink in the hall bathroom," I reply. A small red flag went off in my head after I proceed what he said, and I sat up immediately. The first thing I notice was the amount of blood on his white shirt. His face looked a bit bruised, and his hair was a mess. The last thing, and perhaps the most important thing, was the small puppy in his hand. "Lucas what the hell did you do?!"

"Me?! Some people were kicking the shit out of him in the alley way," he responds as I roll off the couch and rush to the hall bathroom. I grab a towel, the first-aid kit, and run back to Lucas. "Is there rubbing alcohol in there?"

"Yeah, wait-Do you even know what you're doing?"

"Just pass it to me, we have to disinfect his cut before it gets worse," he waves me off. Without saying anything else, I pass him the rubbing alcohol on which he dabs a cotton pad before pressing it gently against the small pup's cut. He let out a hoarse cry, and struggled to get out of Lucas' grip.

Somehow I found myself relating to the pup. Wanting to be free, yet always restrained by the people around him.

~

"How is he?" I ask once Lucas re-enters the room. He switched from his white shirt to a dark purple v-neck.

"He's asleep, I made him comfortable on top of some pillows. I'll take him to the vet later," he groans and leans his head back on the couch.

"Why didn't you take him there in the first place?" I ask.

"I didn't know where one was, and I wasn't thinking that probably where I should take him first. My mind was a little occupied," he says. I nod my head before catching him eying me.

"What?"

"You're still pantsless" he reminds me.

"No one was suppose to be home! In my defense, you're not even here. You're just some random person who decided to intervene on my me-time. You're not real," I pout while crossing my arms. No way am I going to change my plans just because Lucas' shows up. He can leave if he thinks it's an inconvenience. I'm comfortable.

"Oh? Is that so?" he questions me as I nod once again. I feel him grab my arm, and my words got caught up in my throat. Before I know it, I'm looking up at Lucas, his body over mine. I hear one of the pillows plop onto the floor but neither of us avert our eyes to see it. "So whatever happens next isn't real, am I right?"

How do I even respond? If I say yes, I'm screwed. If I say no, I'm screwed. I'm screwed either way.

"Very funny, now get off," I snap at him. I try freeing my hands from under his grip, but alas, my spaghetti arms are of no use.

"I warned you to put on pants," he whispers softly. I feel his fingers gently touch my knee and work there way up. I'm pretty sure I'm blushing, no, I know I'm blushing. My heart is beating fast. "So now you're going to have to pay the price."

"L-Lucas," I mumble as he leans in close. I shut my eyes and I could feel his face hovering above mine, only centimeters apart.

"Just kidding," he whispers. He frees my hands, and takes is body weight off of me. By the time I have the courage to open my eyes again, he's gone.