Ch. 41 Talk Shit, Get Hit

I wait out by Samanthas's black Jaguar. It's Friday, and I know she always drives to school on a Friday. It amazes me how her car is always messy, and yet she claims to be an organized person. I look down at my phone and see it's 2:30. She should be coming out now.

"What are you doing here?" I heard her voice echo. I turned around to see her frowning at me. "Aren't you suspended?"

"For three days, and today is my last day. You can drop the attitude. I hope you know that," I informed her.

"Maybe another time," she suggested before rolling her eyes. "I just don't understand you. What are you doing, Jaz? What goes on in that small, little brain of yours?

"A lot of things, like why the hell you're acting like this. Can we just stop to think for a second that maybe, just maybe, I like playing video games? Or is that a crime too?" I asked.

"I'm not even sure I know you," she scoffed.

"Samantha, instead of being shallow and ignorant you could also try to understand that I did this for me. Not for anyone else. This whole time, I've been acting exactly how you and everyone else in this damned school pictured me to be. Maybe it's good that everyone found out because now, I don't have to pretend to be someone I'm not," I said.

"Really? You're not one to take the high road," she snapped back. I let out a small chuckle before I looked at her in the eyes.

"I've kept your secrets. All of them, I know you like to binge watch Friends and eat a whole box of pizza rolls. I know you don't actually work out 5 times a week as you've claimed. I know the reason why you wear closed-toe shoes is because you hate people touching your feet. I know you lie on those stupid model questions about giving back to the community when actually you honestly couldn't care less. So instead of being mad at me you should be praising me for finally being honest. It's something you've been lacking," I replied.

I could feel every muscle in her arm tense up as she stares at me appalled at the fact I threw those things in her face. Instead of waiting for her to reply, I shook my head and began to walk past her. I grabbed my phone out of my bag and stopped right next to her shoulder.

"You can either be my friend or don't be, the choice is yours. But if you talk shit about me on social media, I don't do well with verbal confrontations and they tend to get physical," I threatened.

"Is that the way a doctor's kid handles things?" she whispered while shooting me a glare.

"No, it's the way I handle things now."

"Just one more thing, why?" she asked. I paused for a second before we locked eyes. Maybe talking wasn't enough to convince her this was something I wanted.

"Do you want me to show you?"

~~~

"Why is it heavy?" Samantha asked as she held an assault rifle. I raised an eyebrow at her, why was she complaining about the weight of a gun when I know she's held shopping bags heavier than that. The female announcer was counting down from 15, and we were waiting in the team bay. I had convinced Samantha to play only one game with me against Jake and Oliver. Hesitantly, she agreed but said it was only because she had nothing else to do.

"Because it is," I simply replied.

She held the gun away from her body, and I gave her a look. Samantha gave me a frown, not understanding what she was doing wrong. I bent her elbows, locking the rifle into a more secure position.

"Recoil," I explain. The buzzer went off and I motioned her to follow me. "When you want to shoot just hold the gun up like that and press the trigger. Auto-lock is on so it should make it easier on you to hit the guys. It's Search and Destroy so we only have one life."

"Wow, this feels so real. What happens if we die?" she whispered as we took cover behind a jeep. I peeked over the side and so no movement.

"Nothing, you just see a white light and before you know it you're in the loading bay," I said.

"That's lame."

"Should we hunt them down?" I asked her as I turned my safety switch off.

"Sometimes even a princess has to get her hands dirty," she agreed.

~~~

"I want a rematch, you two are quicker than you look," Oliver complained.

"Excuse you? We've been here for almost an hour, and you lost fair and square. Cry me a river and suck it up," Samantha said. I gave a small laugh and stepped out of the elevator. We only lost a handful of the games, winning the majority of them. "But anyways, I sort of understand now. It's an escape isn't it?"

"How perceptive of you Watson," I said.

"Why thank you, Holmes," she replied.

"Oh, the mighty duo have reunited once more," Jake commented. We both punched his chest as the elevator dinged when we reached the ground floor. As the doors slid open, Nick was standing there with his other teammates.

"Oh, would you look at this, the princess and her royal losers," he said.

"Then what does that make you?" I asked. "A peasant?"

"Your ignorance astounds me," he shot back.

"What astounds me is your fuck boy attitude," I snapped. "Get out of my way Nick."

"And why are you here?" Nick asked Samantha. He completely ignored me, moving onto something else. "Weren't you saying you didn't know her and she wasn't your best friend?"

"I did. But I'm getting to know the real Jaz, and guess what? She's more of a badass than I thought she was," Samantha answered his question without even blinking. She truly is the Latina Blast of Sass.

"You shouldn't even be here, you might break a nail," one of Nick's teammates teased. He was tall, with a noticeable scar on his right forearm.

"Next thing you'll know, they'll try combining the pods with tanning booths," another said.

"Don't you guys have something better to do?" Oliver asked.

"No, not really," the guy with the scar said.

"They're right, it's not like they're getting any action tonight. Right Nick?" Samantha asked. I saw Jake make that oh snap face and Oliver grinning to himself. I know I'm pretty savage, but Samantha can be on a completely different level.

"Samantha, I've already taken down one queen bee, what makes you think I won't take down another?" he threatened.

"You know my mom is from Colombia right?" she said. "And my last name is Colombo."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Nick asked. She licked her lips before looking up at the ceiling, tilting her head to the left a little bit. Then she tilted it to the right before nodding to herself.

"Well, you know the Colombo crime family, they were... for your sake, relatives of mine. As for my mom, well let's say her and Griselda Blanco had a special connection. In other words, the expression 'I can make it look like an accident' doesn't apply to me. Because if I wanted to, I can make it look like an accident," she said with a smile on her face. "Never mess with a Latina-Italian mix."

Nick and his group got very quiet. She patted his shoulder sympathetically before walking right by him. I wasn't even expecting Samantha to say anything like that, but apparently she has strings in higher places that I can't even begin to comprehend.

"I'll tell you this now Nick," she began. "Talk shit, get hit. Like you've said, your ignorance astounds me."