Ch. 44 To Everyone's Own Surprise

Jake's makeup artist examined my face for probably the 100th time before nodding. After sitting here for almost an hour, she was satisfied by how it turned out. I thanked her as I look back at myself in the mirror.

It's not a dance unless you have smoky eyeshadow done. She pinned the last few bobby pins into my hair. She gave me the final nod, and I gave her a smile. Things were going to get interesting tonight.

1 Hours till Cornation; 2.5 hours till next round

Noni clasped her hands together as I made my way down the stairs. She nods in approval and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I feel like I'm looking at my own daughter go to prom," she admits. "I suddenly feel 30."

"It's because you act like a middle-aged woman sometimes," I say as I kiss her cheek. As an Alumni, she was invited to the dance, and we decided to meet up. She motions for me to turn, and I do so. Lizzy created a beautiful 2 piece dress from white silk. The top half was an open back and a holstered collar to keep everything up. The bottom half started with a carefully blue sequenced waist line before more silk flowed from it with one slit in the mix. Simple, elegant, classy. Liz outdoes herself every time.

"Wow, not too bad princess," Jake says while striding in, throwing his shades back. I have no idea why he's wearing shades, the sun set forever ago. "I knew under those sweats and t-shirts there was a girl in you."

"Listen, you make it sound as if I look bad all the time. It's only when I'm at home that I don't try,"I reply while walking into the ball room. The dance was held at a hotel, on the opposite side of the city. I try to ignore the stares and take in the decorations of the amazing crystal white wonderland in front of me. But it was hard when literally every other guy kept asking me what I was doing here.

"They make you sound like an old show dog. Jesus Christ," Samantha said.

"More like the last of a species alive," Nick says as he walks past me. He gives a little chuckle and tilts his head to the right. "Would you like a ride princess? Or are you going to wait for your crown?"

"It doesn't matter when I leave I'll still kick your ass," I say. I give a smirk and move my hair behind my shoulder. "You wouldn't mock me unless you feel threatened."

"You wouldn't be here unless you had something to prove," Nick says. He gives me a moment to soak it in, as if he thought he could get under my skin. I smile politely, running my hand on his shoulder. I grip it tightly, the smile never leaving my face. 

"I do. I'm here to claim my crown and then kick your ass while wearing this dress later. I saw your time sheet, you've been spending a lot of time in the game this past week. Makes me wonder... why exactly are you training for?" I ask him. I turn around, not letting him utter another word, and stride away.

I won't be put in an unfavorable outcome tonight, wether it be by Nick or this school. I'm going to win the crown, show up to the finals, and do it all without-

"By the way where the fuck is your date?" Samantha asks.

"Shit. I knew I forgot something," I mumble. "Wait, who did you two bring?"

"We're each others date," Lizzy says while eyeing me up and down. "I think I should've gone Ivory instead of Snow White. I'm so annoyed right now, this lighting is not enhancing my creation."

"Calm down there Coco Channel. It's a school dance, not the runway. I'm sure you can change your prototype next time you show it off," Samantha assures her. Lizzy glares at her, and Sam just smiles her sweet model like smile before turning back to me. "So?"

In less then half a second, her whole face changes and she and Lizzy start giggling. I guess it has to be Noni and Jake making out behind me, or someone wore something unholy to the dance. I don't even bother looking. I keep thinking on why on earth I didn't ask someone to be my date, or hell, why did no one ask me?

"I'm not sure how this whole dance thing works, but I told Jake I would escort you to the best of my abilities," I hear someone whisper in my ear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm uploading some chapter tonight. And by uploading, I mean maybe 3 chapters tonight.

My mom's friend told him, who told me, Patience is key. 

Thank you for waiting.