Inside Voice {Bokuto Koutarou}

"Bokuto!"

The teacher at the desk angrily crossed her arms in front of her chest as she glared at him over the frames of her reading glasses. Bokuto paused, his mouth squeezed shut in a straight line as the class turned to look at him, including you.

"Be quiet and do your work!" your teacher scolded him. She then continued grading papers and drinking her coffee.

Everyone in the class snickered, and you rolled your eyes when your classmates jeered at you too. You looked down at the phone in your hands and texted your boyfriend, who was now shaming himself for letting out a very loud "OHOHO" just a few moments ago.

"Hey, save that loud voice of yours for volleyball practice!" you wrote before sending the message to him.

You looked over at him and saw him pout as his shoulders slumped. You glared at him before turning away from him and continuing your homework.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a lunchtime filled with nothing but Bokuto talking your ear off, you returned to your classes before school ended. When it did, your boyfriend gave you his loud and noisy explanation of the day as you walked to the gym with him. You rubbed your temples and did your best to listen to him, even though your head was hurting slightly from the intensity of his voice.

Every time you told him to turn the volume down a notch, he would do it, but only for a few seconds before he reverted to his former volume. As much as you loved Bokuto and his enthusiastic personality, his powerful voice was giving you a headache.

Listening to his yells and calls reverberate around the Fukurodani gym didn't help much either. Even though the gym was filled with numerous other voices, his was always the loudest. While you were happy to see him enjoying yourself, it didn't make his yelling any easier on your ears. Even when he approached you to talk to you during water breaks, his voice still echoed throughout the gym.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When practice was over, Bokuto grabbed his gear and held onto your hand tightly as he left the gym, screaming goodbyes to people who were right next to him.

"Koutarou...?" you asked softly as you walked outside.

He looked down at you, his golden eyes wide with curiosity. "Yes, (f/n)?!"

"Is it possible that you've deafened yourself with the volume of your own voice?" you wondered. His look of curiosity soon turned to one of confusion as he raised an eyebrow at you.

"Huh?"

"I mean, you talk so loud all of the time that it makes me wonder if you can even hear yourself," you explained.

"Of course I can hear myself!"

"Then why are you always so surprised when the teacher scolds you for being loud?"

He paused and tried to search for an answer. He was quiet for a long time, and he slowly hung his head in shame. You stopped walking as the two of you arrived outside your house, and you contemplated him with worry, fearing that you'd broken him.

"(F/n)..." he began as he raised his head and looked back into your (e/c) eyes, "Do you not like my voice? Am I annoying you?"

You sighed gently and took his hands in yours, pulling him closer to you before placing them on the sides of his face. "I love your voice, Koutarou, and you're not annoying me. I would just appreciate it if you used your inside voice a bit more often," you admitted as you stroked the side of his face.

"Inside... voice...?" he echoed.

"Yes. Try using it right now," you suggested with a small smile.

"But we're outside!"

"Koutarou," you growled quietly.

"Okay, okay! How do I use it?"

"Just try talking to me in the same tone that I'm using with you right now," you instructed as you spoke softly.

"Like this?"

"A little quieter."

"Like this...?"

"Yes. Now try whispering."

He whispered random words under his breath and you felt surprised that you'd managed to get someone as loud as Bokuto to whisper. It was quite amazing. He seemed to be amused with this new skill that he learned, since he kept whispering different things.

"You see," you said with a smile, "yelling pushes people away, but speaking softly brings people closer since they can't hear you as well."

"Ooooh!"

You smiled and chuckled slightly, giving him a gentle kiss on the cheek before heading towards your house. "Thanks for walking me home! I love you," you called over your shoulder.

You heard Bokuto call your name, so you glanced over your shoulder at him. He started speaking, but you couldn't hear him, so you moved closer to him.

"What did you—"

You were quickly cut off when Bokuto wrapped his arms around you and planted a loving kiss on your lips. You felt yourself blush profusely at his sudden actions, and you gazed at him with a pair of wide eyes.

He chuckled as a bright smile crept onto his face. "I said I love you too." You giggled as he kissed you a few more times and murmured gently spoken words to you that made your heart flutter.

Now that he knew what speaking in his inside voice could do, he was definitely going to use it more often to lure you closer so that he could steal more kisses from you.