I Don't Remember Inviting You.

We drove in silence, listening to the radio. As we pulled up I noticed the others were following behind. When they had all gotten out and followed me to the front door I turned around. "You are not afraid." I started to influence them, it was easier to control all of them then I had expected. "You will not leave this house untill I say you can! And you will not mind if Damon or I bite you! Do you understand?" They nodded in unison. "Good." I smiled and openned the door. "Come on in, the party's on the second floor." I directed them into Damons room and heard them gasp, but they did not turn away. They were shocked but not afraid, I had cured them of that. I left them standing by the door and sat down next to Damon. His eyes were closed and his face was pinched with pain. "Dan come here." I called, my back facing towards them. I heard soft foot falls crossing the room and then a hand on my shoulder.  

"Are you going to bite me Lani?" He sounded sure that it was the right thing to do and I was glad. 

"Yes, but first, would you let Damon?'  

"Of course!" He smiled at me and then it faltered. "But how?"  

"Here, I'll show you!" I smiled at him encouragingly and held out my hand. He took it quickly. "Damon be gentle and don't kill him,ok?" I sent telepathically.  

"Ok Lan." He sounded weak. 

"Dan just roll up your sleeve a bit." I said it in a tone of sympathy. I knew it was going to hurt him and he didn't. He obliged willingly. I pulled his wrist across Damon's mouth and watched the look of pain cross his face when Damon bit. He never cried out or tried to pull back, he just stood there staring at me. After about a minute Damon let him go, he staggered back a few steps and collapsed into a chair. He fell asleep almost instantly. "I compelled him to sleep." Damon murmured. His face had a little more colour to it but he was obviously still in pain. I turned and looked at the other boys who were just walking around talking to each other.  

"Justin?" One of them snapped their heads towards me. 

"Yes Lani?" He smiled. 

"Would you mind?" I asked, they all had a choice but I knew they would all say yes anyway. 

"Of course Lani!" He walked over and placed his hand over Damons mouth the same way Dan had. And again after a minute or so Damon dropped the boys arm. Damon sat up quietly but I could see it took alot of effort. I decided to give him a little of my blood. I bit my wrist and pushed it towards his mouth. He tried to push it away but I was much stronger. It felt nice being able to help Damon in some way. I tried to pull some of his pain into me but he pushed my attempts to the side. "No Lani you can't! I won't let you!" His mental voice had much more life in it. 

"Won't let me what? Help?" I was trying so hard to weasel my way into his mind and steal some of his pain away, but he put a steel box around himself. He let go of my wrist and pulled me into his chest.  

"I don't want you to hurt this way Lani. Its terrible, but I would rather go through this a thousand times, than let you feel this pain." I could feel the tears trying to evade my eyes, but I would not let them. Not while all these people were here. I quickly gathered all their minds. "There is alcohol in the lounge room and a stereo, go and use them as you wish. If Stefan asks you what's going just tell him I said it was OK. But when you hear me call for you come at once. Understand?" They all nodded and disappeared out the door. Even Dan woke up and left. I got up and closed the door. I stayed with my back facing Damon. How could I look in his eyes and feel his warm arms around me and be happy, when all the while he is in gut wrenching pain and at any second could be stolen away from me forever? How could any person do this? "Because it makes me happy." Damon said, winding his arms around me. I must of been projecting to him. I turned to look into his eyes and felt the tears I had been fighting with finally spill over.