Three

"What do you think of this one, Reyalyn? It's it just magnificent?" Elisa's voice pulls me from my thoughts of Jakob back to where she is standing on the small platform while the seamstresses dance around her working on the material to make sure it properly fits her growing frame.

I push away my annoyance and put a smile on my face, although this is far from the first time Elisa has asked the same question today. "Yes, it is lovely."

The praise is enough to turn her attention back to the dressmakers that surround her. I pause for a moment and just look at my little sister. I was six when she was born and as she nears her twelfth birthday, I cannot help but be amazed that she has somehow gone from the little girl with the perfect ringlet curls to a young lady that looks remarkably like our mother. It is her reflection of mother that I think makes her father's favorite. When he looks into her blue eyes and hears her sing-song voice it brings back every memory he has of our mother. I think he dotes on her as a way to still feel that our mother is here with him. She is like a balm to his grieving heart. She is a balm to everyone. She is the kindest and most joyous person I have ever known. I do not fault father for favoring her. We all baby her a bit; I think it is partially because she is the youngest, but more because when I am with her, I feel like mother is close by.

Valeous is father's other favorite, but as the son and heir the favored position was his by birthright. Father looks at his son and sees the future of his family and of his kingdom. He sees a son that is healthy and strong and valiant and a man that other men look to for guidance. He knows that Valeous will be a good king. He knows that his future and legacy are safe.

I know am I not the favorite. I know that I am loved and cared for and that my father will make sure that I have everything I could ever want or need, but I always feel like he is a bit unsure of what our relationship is supposed to be. There is a distance between us that neither one of use is sure how to broach, and so it stays.

It is probably because I spent most of my time with my mother. Father and Valeous were frequently gone and I was left with mother. Many royal women have other ladies raise their children, but if I was not learning the rules of royalty from Beatrice, I was with my mother. When I close my eyes at night I can still hear the songs that she would sing. Sometimes I can still hear her laugh. Those moments are the worst, the ones when it seems as though she is nearby and I am brought back to the truth that she is not here. My mother is dead.

"Reyalyn?"

I snap myself out of my reverie and turn my attention back to Elisa. I can see the slight impatience on her face due to my lack of attention to her questions. "Yes, you look quite lovely."

She lets out a sigh. "You've already told me that, three times. What do you think of your dress?"

I realize that there are two ladies standing in front of me, waiting for my reaction to the dress they have pieced around me. I quickly look to the mirror and am struck by the beauty of the gown. They have created a masterpiece of blue material that is indigo at the top and as the skirt flares the color seems almost to fade. "It is beautiful, ladies."

Elisa's voice come from across the small room. "I'm sure your future husband will be greatly pleased."

I force myself to keep my smile as the reason for the blue is remembered. Of course, it is to impress Broderick. Instantly, the love I first felt for the dress is replaced by resentment for its purpose.

Elisa's voice sounds and she steps off of her platform. "Ladies, can I have a moment with my sister?" The women quickly leave and Elisa walks over to where I am still standing. "What is wrong?"