Twenty-one

"I was glad to receive your invitation to join you." I turn toward Broderick's voice as he comes to join me as I walk along the lakeside and I can feel myself smiling as he nears me. It has been three days since the men left. Three days of silence and waiting. Three days of feeling the worry like a weight on my chest. Three days that have been filled with what feels like every nobleman in court wanting to speak to me. Three days where I feel I have not had a moment to myself or been able to hear my own thoughts. I know they are trying to gain my favor. Men who spend their lives at court know that much of their success comes from staying in the good graces of the current ruler. All of the gifts a king can give, can easily be removed by the next that sits on the throne. I am not the next in line, but I am the one in charge right now. I know many are hoping to capitalize on father's absence and at the very least, gain my favor to later speak on their behalf, believing that I hold significant sway over my father's mind. They have not listened when I have tried to remind them that my father's mind and opinion are his own and cannot be swayed by anyone. Still, there have been gifts given and compliments uttered. I have listened to it all with calm and, I hope, grace, but today I have to take a break from the politics. I feel all of it muddling up my mind and twisting my thoughts. I need at least a few moments away from the pull of so many people. I need a chance for peace.

This morning I told the advisors and the guards that I would not meet with anyone unless there was an immediate threat to our safety and I sent a message for Broderick to meet me by the lake. I left word that if news came from the soldiers I was to be informed immediately, but otherwise I was not to be disturbed. There is nothing that cannot wait for at least a little while. I could see their frustration at my request, but I held firm until I was sure that I had my way. I may not strike the same fear in them that father does, but I do share his stubbornness and I was not going to cave in and give up my wishes. Broderick is the only one I wish to speak with today. I have not had a chance to speak with him since our brief time in the abbey before the men left and I have only seen him at a distance when he enters the room as I always seem to be engaged in conversation with others. There was a small doubt that whispered in the back of my mind that he would grow frustrated and feel ignored, yet he approaches me with a smile and I find all of those fears eased.

Broderick reaches my side and brushes a soft kiss to my cheek, before he pulls me against him in a hug. I wrap my arms around his back and let myself lean into him for a few moments, enjoying the safety and security and support. I hear his deep voice rumble against my ear. "I have missed you, these last three days. You have been swarmed by every nobleman at court and I have wished to give you the space you need. Though I confess, I have been a bit jealous at those circled so close around you."

I pull back, wanting to see his face. I wrap my arms around his, relishing in the comfort I feel from his presence as we begin to move along the lake. There is a calm that settles in me that I feel has been missing these last three days. "I'm sorry. I've been busy, but I do not wish for you to keep your distance. It seems like every chance I get to get away from one person there is at least three others waiting to take their place. Every nobleman, and most of their wives, are trying to gain favor with me in hopes that I will influence my father to find in their favor on various things. A couple are presenting their grievances to me I think in hopes that I will give them an answer that is far more lenient that what my father would pronounce."

"Life at court is all about garnering favor so it is no surprise they are all clamoring for yours. As for those with grievances, are they finding those hopes of leniency to be true?" There is no judgement in his voice, only curiosity and I find his honesty refreshing.

"No, I am listening to them, but I am making all wait for father's return. So far there has been nothing pressing that requires immediate attention so they will wait for him. He is the king; he is the one that should be making these decisions."