Nine

The hall is beautiful and even that word doesn't feel that it does justice to what I am seeing as I walk in to the celebration. This is just a peek into the festivities as I will have to make an official arrival with the rest of the royal family after the remainder of the guests have arrived, but curiosity was getting the best of me. The throne room is an elaborate room. The thrones for the king and queen sit on a raised pedestal that oversees the large room. These chairs are large and oversized and lavish, meant to show power and station. There are golden details on the thrones and around the room that adds to the opulence that is first seen. The large fireplaces on either wall are flanked by elaborate mantles that are carved from stone and tinged with gold. There are mirrors above these mantles to reflect the light and make the space appear amplified. The floor is black tile with numerous specially made tiles with my father's initial in white. The large pillars that are spaced around the room are made from the same carved stone surrounds the fireplaces. For the party, the lavishness has been intensified. Every surface is draped in garlands of green with white, fragrant flowers. The tables on the side of the room are heaped full of delicious treats, creating a mouth-watering aroma to lure all of the guests to taste its offerings. Golden goblets and plates fill the tables. Musicians stand in the corner with their instruments at the ready playing music to greet all of those who step into the room. Candles are lit on the chandeliers and along the walls, lighting the room and giving the illusion that the light is dancing in time with the music that is being played.

"Reyalyn." My name is whispered and I am barely sure that it was even there, but I can feel his presence. Jakob. We have done this before, where he will whisper my name to let me know that he wishes to speak to me away from all of the others. I know that I should not sneak off with him and that if Valeous found out I would face his wrath and he would tell father, but I feel that I need to see Jakob. I need to make sure that he is okay. I step back out of the room and walk around the corner of the hallway so I am out of the way and view of the guests. I do not look behind me to see if he is following me, I can feel that he is.

I wait until I am certain that no one has seen me and I turn to find Jakob somehow waiting behind me. He pulls me quickly into his arms and presses a kiss to my lips. I jump back not wanting to get caught. While it used to bring a thrill, I know that there are worse consequences to pay now that I am engaged to another. Father will not react kindly to someone that he feels in undermining his plans. He steps closer, invading my space and I find myself unable to step away, although I know that I should. "You are stunning. I can't take my eyes off of you. That dress is quite alluring." His smile is wicked as he looks at me and I can feel the blush creep up my cheeks. His eyes are focused on me as though they are drinking me in. It is an intensity that I have not seen before and it causes a thrill of either nerves or excitement to flare down my back. I feel the urge to wrap my arms around myself as some kind of shield. This is not the Jakob I know. Jakob's arm reaches out to pull me against him and I step back from his embrace.

I hold my hand up toward his chest. "Stop, you must behave. Anyone could find us here. We must be careful."

"No one is here yet."

He reaches again and I step farther away, shocked by his brazen forwardness. He is always so careful. "Jakob, stop. You know the danger that is posed to us both should we be caught in a compromised embrace."

He reaches out, his hand running down my arm. "We've snuck around before, I know you like the thrill of it." I do not know what to say, this is so unlike him, I am at a loss for words. While he looks like my Jakob, I do not recognize this man.

He steps closer and I can smell his breath. "Are you drunk? Is that why you are acting this way?"

He leans against the wall, his voice cold. "I was just celebrating your recent engagement."