Chapter 3- Then

Chapter 3- Then

-Madison's POV-

"Maddy!" my mother yelled up the stairs and I quickly hopped off my bed, hitting pause on the music flowing from my speakers. "Maddy!"

"Coming Mum!" I called, hurrying down the stairs to see her standing by the front door, the door open to reveal none other than Ashton smiling up at me.

"Hi," he said.

"Hey," I told him.

"Maddy, you never told me you made a friend yesterday." Mum said, beaming a cheerful grin.

"Uh, yeah," I said. "Mum, Ashton."

"Oh, we've met now." My mother said.

"Figured I'd give you a tour of the area today." Ashton said, the smile never leaving his face.

"Fine by me," I said, looking down at my pajama ensemble of fluffy gray shorts and a black tank top. "Just, um... let me go change first,"

Turning and running up the stairs, I went to my closet, yanking out a black and white striped hoodie and a pair of black skinny jeans, along with my gray Keds and quickly changing, applying a light coat of mascara and eyeliner before grabbing my phone and running back downstairs to see my mother still talking to Ashton.

"Okay," I said, stepping in between them. "All set. Let's go, Ash."

"Alright," he said. "Bye Mrs. Holmes,"

"Have fun kids," my mother called after us as we left.

"Sorry about that," I told him as soon as the door was shut.

"No problem," he said, shrugging. "Looks like she's just happy you've made a friend."

"Don't do that very often." I admitted.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Fourth school in three years, like I said yesterday. When you get the feeling that you could be uprooted at any point, making friends isn't exactly easy for you. Because you know that if you say hello, eventually you're going to say goodbye."

"Sometimes goodbye isn't forever," he said. "Besides, you said hello to me."

"Didn't exactly have a choice in that matter." I smirked. "But my parents promised this is my last school before graduation, that we aren't moving anymore until I'm finished with school."

"So saying hello was a good choice then." he concluded.

"Well, here you're my only friend, so I'd be lonely otherwise," I confirmed.

"The sad part is I've lived here most of my life, but you're my only friend." he said, shrugging. "Like I said, I don't talk to anybody."

"You talked to me," I told him.

"Didn't exactly have a choice in that matter." he mimicked me.

"Shut up," I said, hitting him in the arm as we walked. "I thought you were giving me a tour."

"I am," he said, stopping and gesturing to the building we were currently in front of. "This is a grocery store. It's where people here get food."

"No shit," I told him in a monotone voice.

"It's true," he said, stopping suddenly when three boys came out of the building across the street, laughing.

"You okay?" I asked him.