Chapter 1- Then

Chapter 1- Then

-Madison's POV-

 Four schools in three years now. For most people, that's insane. But for me, it's my life. Well, it was, until now.

See, my parents promised me that this would be my last year of moving around. After this school year, I'll graduate, I'll be eighteen, and I can finally live on my own.

"See Maddy, you're going to love it here." my mother was saying, but I could barely hear her over the earbuds in my ears. "Richmond High School is a great place."

I didn't answer her, just kept staring out the window from the backseat of the car, the hood of my gray zip up hoodie on over my head and my dark brown hair braided over my shoulder where it fell. When the car finally pulled up outside the school, I picked up my bag, opening the car door and stepping out.

"Have a great day, Maddy, we'll see you when you get home." my dad said, and I gave him a small smile before turning and walking away, into the building where I finally took out the earbuds and stuffed them into my messenger bag.

"You must be our new student?" the secretary asked me.

"Yeah," I said, forcing a small smile.

"Madison?" she asked, looking down at her computer.

"That's me," I told her.

"I've got your schedule right here, and then you should be good to go," she said, handing me a folded sheet of paper. If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask anyone!"

"Thank you," I said, turning and ducking out of the room before looking for my locker, seeing it right next to a kid who, like me, had his sweatshirt hood up. I walked up next to him, unlocking my locker and pulling it open.

"Hi," I heard a voice say from behind me, and turned to see a smiling blonde looking at me. "You're new here, right?"

"Yeah," I said, giving a small smile.

"I'm Jordan," she said. "Jordan Kaplan."

"Madison," I told her. "Madison Holmes."

"What's your first class?" she asked.

"History, I think," I said, looking at the sheet of paper again.

"I have that class too!" she squealed. "Come on, I'll show you."

I nodded, shutting my locker door and allowing her to lead me down the hallway, and I glanced back over my shoulder to wear the hooded boy was still looking into his locker, pulling books out of it.

"So, who's my, erm, neighbor, here?" I asked her, referring to lockers.

"Oh, that's Ashton." she said. "Ashton Irwin. He's the typical silent brooding type, never talks to anyone, is always by himself, never let's anyone get close to him. He's completely closed off from everyone."

"Sad," I mumbled as I followed her into the room.

****

Okay, so after my last class of the day, which is literature, I go back to my locker and get my things before walking home. The problem? I have no clue how to get back to my locker.

Wandering the halls aimlessly, I became aware of the sound of a drumset being played not far away, and I followed the sound. When I finally reached a door, I wasn't completely sure where I was, so I peeked in the window to see a familiar looking figure pounding away at the drums.

Watching Ashton drum, I couldn't take my eyes off of him. Jordan had told me he was so quiet, so alone and introverted, but here he looked like a completely different person. His back was to me, but he just seemed so much more alive than he did when I saw him at the lockers.

 I almost didn't notice when he stopped playing, and set down the drumsticks, getting up and turning around where his eyes met mine. He seemed surprised at first, but then he was yet again expressionless, walking towards me and opening up the music room door, standing face to face with me.

"Um, hello?" he asked, a tad nervously.

"Hi," I told him, biting my lower lip nervously. "I'm sorry, I was lost, and I have no clue how to get to my locker and... you're a really good drummer."

"Thanks," he smiled sheepishly. "You're my new locker neighbor, right? The one who walked off with Kaplan earlier."

"Yeah," I said, nodding. "It's my first day. And Jordan's a little... perky."

"Way too perky," he agreed. "But she'll give you the grand welcoming tour. Welcome to Richmond, I guess."

"Thanks," I told him.

"Ashton," he said, suddenly. "Ashton Irwin."

"Madison," I told him. "Madison Holmes. Though, usually people just call me Maddy."

"I might call you either," he said. "And if you like, I can show you back towards your locker, I need to go there myself. Follow me,"

"Alright," I said, following him. "So do you drive to school, then?"

He shook his head. "I walk. You?"

"Walk," I told him. "I live up on Parker, a few blocks away."

"I'm about a block farther than you, up on Manchester." he said. "I can walk with you, if you'd like."

"Sounds great," I said. "Not to be rude or anything but.. Jordan mentioned something about you being quiet, as in you never talk to anybody."

He shrugged. "I've grown up with these people. Eventually you just run out of things to say. These days, people won't even give anybody a chance to talk."

"I will," I told him.

He smirked. "Come on, lockers are this way."

Following him towards the lockers, I re-zipped up my hoodie, pulling the hood up since it looked as if it were about to rain outside. Finally seeing them, I opened up mine, grabbing my gray messenger bag and shutting it, walking out of the empty school building next to Ashton.

"So, when did you move here?" Ashton asked, trying to make conversation as we walked.

"Few days ago," I told him. "It's my fourth school in three years, so moving around isn't exactly a new thing."

His eyes widened. "Three years?"

I nodded. "We move around a lot. Nothing big."

"No, it's just... wow." he said, and my grin widened.

"Like I said, nothing big. So, how long have you been drumming for?"

He shrugged. "Years. So, who do you live with in your family?"

"My parents," I told him. "I'm an only child. How about you?"

"Oldest of three." he said. "I've two younger siblings, Harry and Lauren, and we live with our mum. Our dad left, and he's never around anymore."

"I'm sorry," I told him.

He shrugged again. "No big deal. So this is you here?"

I looked, seeing that it was, in fact, the white house we had gotten. "Yeah," I said, nodding. "So, I'll see you Monday at school?"

"Only if you have no plans this weekend." he said. "Maybe we could hang out or something."

"Alright," I said, smiling again. "Bye Ashton."