Chapter 19- Then

Chapter 19- Then

-Madison's POV-

"Madison, can we talk to you for a minute?" my mother called from downstairs as I finished getting ready for school.

I quickly straightened out my top as I glanced at my reflection in the mirror before responding.

"Yeah, I'll be down in a minute," I said, grabbing my bag and running down the stairs. "What do you guys need?"

"Well, there's something we need to discuss with you," Dad said.

"Which is?" I asked.

"Maddy, I know you were excited about graduating here, and that this would be your last time moving around..." Mum started, but trailed off eventually.

"No..." I breathed, shaking my head, as I knew what was coming.

"Maddy, you have to understand," Dad said.

"No. I don't understand," I told them. "I don't want to move anymore. I graduate in May, and it's February. Please, don't..." I begged.

"We're sorry," Mum said.

"Where are we going anyways?" I asked.

"Perth," Dad said finally.

"Perth?" I asked, laughing humorlessly. "Like a four day drive away from here? What about Ashton? Remember? My best friend, my boyfriend?"

"Maddy, the two of you can still keep up a long distance relationship." Mum said.

"No," I said. "No. I'm done,"

Turning around, I ran upstairs, slamming the door shut and finally letting all the tears fall.

I hated my parents having jobs that forced us to move all the time.

I hate them lying to me about how this would be the last time we moved.

I hated it all.

Opening up the window to my bedroom on quick thinking, I tossed down my fire escape ladder and climbed out, hitting the grass below when I reached the bottom and sprinting down the street, towards Ashton's house, even though he'd already be at school by now.

****

-Ashton's POV-

Walking home from school, my mind drifted to thoughts of Madison.

Was she alright?

Why did she skip school today?

Was she sick?

I contemplated calling her parents since she wouldn't answer her phone. Maybe she was just sick, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong.

Something definitely seemed wrong.

"Mum, I'm home," I said, opening up the front door to the house.

"How was school?" she called from the living room.

"Usual," I said, not mentioning the fact that Maddy wasn't there. "Awful," I muttered as I started up the staircase.

Running up the stairs, I went down the hallway and opened up my bedroom door, not prepared for what I saw. She was curled up in a ball on my bed, crying her eyes out.

"Maddy..." I breathed softly.

Running over to her, I wrapped my arms around her, letting her cry into my shoulder as my chin rested on top of her head. Seeing her cry like this broke my heart, and I really didn't think I could handle it.

"A-A-Asht-t-ton," she stammered, my shirt balled up in her fist as she tugged me closer to her. "I, I just c-can't do this."

"Do what, Maddy?" I asked her, making her face me and brushing away her tears with my thumb.

"They lied to me," she murmured.

Lied to her?

Who lied to her?

"Who lied to you?" I asked.

"They s-said we wouldn't have to move again," she cried.

"Move?" I asked, in shock. "M-move where?"

"Perth," she said, and it started to feel as if the room was spinning around us.

"Perth?" I asked. "As in, Perth?"

"I don't want to go," she cried, shaking her head back and forth. "They told me we didn't have to move again, and besides, I can't leave. You're here, Ashton. I can't leave you. I- I love you."

She loved me.

Madison loved me.

This couldn't be happening. Madison, the girl I was in love with, was moving to Perth and there was nothing I could do about it. Unless...

"Don't move," I told her.

"What?" she asked.

"Don't move." I said again. "Stay here with me. You're eighteen, I'm almost eighteen, and then we can move out on our own. Stay here with me. We can graduate, and then you'll never have to move again."

"Ashton, that's crazy," she said.

I shook my head, smiling through my tears. "Sometimes crazy's good. Please just say yes."

"Alright," she said. "Yes."

"You will?" I asked, a grin spreading out on my face.

"Yeah," she nodded. "I'll move in with you."