Chapter 22- Now

Chapter 22- Now

-Ashton's POV-

"Ashton Irwin?" a voice asked, and I looked from my spot in the chair to see the doctor exit Maddy's hospital room.

"That's me," I said in a small voice.

"I'm sorry," he said sadly. "There was nothing more we could do. You see we... we had to call it."

"Can I-" I stopped short, tears threatening to spill over my eyelids. "Can I go in and see her one last time?"

"Of course," he said, and I walked past him to where Maddy lay in her hospital bed, lifeless.

"Hey," I said, my voice cracking. "It's okay. I'm not mad at you for leaving me, honest. Because I know you're up there with Austin, and you're both watching over me."

"Ashton?" a voice asked, and I looked up at that mirror, that goddamn mirror where I'd seen her before. And there she was again, in the mirror watching me. But it was different. This time I could hear her speaking to me.

"Maddy," I said, getting up from the chair and walking over to the mirror, putting my hand up against it, and she did the same, mirroring my hand. "Where are you?"

"I'm here," she said. "I've always been here."

"Where's Austin?" I asked her.

"He's not with me," she said sadly. "I mean, he might once I'm dead, but..."

"Maddy, you are dead," I said sadly.

"I am?" she asked.

I nodded. "You flatlined again, Maddy. There was nothing they could do this time."

"Ashton, you're joking right?" she asked.

I shook my head sadly.

"No, Maddy, I'm... I'm not."

"Ashton, wake up." she said. "Seriously, wake up."

"Wake up," Luke said, shaking me awake.

"What?" I asked.

"You fell asleep while we were watching the movie," Luke said calmly.

"Wait, so..." I trailed off, a grin spreading over my face. "It was all a dream?"

"What was all a dream?" Michael asked from his spot on the couch next to me.

It was all a dream... Maddy was still alive. She wasn't dead. She was still here, with me.

She didn't leave me.

"She's still here..." I muttered.

"Ashton, are you okay?" Cal asked.

"I'm fine," I said.

I was better than fine. I was great actually. See, you know how people wake up sometimes and they're completely pissed off at another person for something they had done in a dream? That's me right now.

Except I'm overjoyed.

"I had a dream," I started. "Maddy flatlined again, and then I saw her again, in that mirror."

"Again with the mirror." Calum muttered.

"She talked to me." I continued on. "First time she'd talked to me since the accident, and I could actually hear her. I asked her if she was with Austin, and then she started saying she wasn't dead. Then she told me to wake up. But in my dream, she was dead. The doctor said so. Said there was nothing more that he could've done for her and that she was gone."

"You seem oddly happy." Michael commented.

"Well, she's not dead, so of course I'm happy." I stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"What time is it?" Michael asked.

"Ten-thirty," Luke said, checking his iPhone.

"I'm going to bed," Calum announced before throwing his blanket over his face to block out the rest of us.

****

-Madison's POV-

"Maddy, are you happy?" Milo asked, and I looked at him, confused.

"Uh, yeah, I think I'm happy?" I asked. "Why?"

"Because," he said, "Your wish is coming true."

"You're going to teach me how to fly?" I asked, my eyes lighting up.

"No, are you stupid, I'd have my guardian license taken away if I did that." he said.

"Really?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No, but that's not the wish that's coming true."

"Oh..." I trailed off. "What is then."

"You're getting better," he said. "Don't you see, Maddy? It's almost time for you to return. Home, with Ashton, where you belong."