Chapter 28- Now

Chapter 28- Now

-Madison's POV-

"Hey, Milo?" I asked, sitting up from where I was sprawled out on the ground, just looking up at the clear nothing of the surroundings of upstairs.

"Yeah?" he asked, walking over to me.

"Do you remember when we were talking about how when it was time for me to go, that I'd know it? That I'd feel like it was time, sort of like having an epiphany?" I asked.

"Yeah, but..." he trailed off, his jaw dropping. "You're feeling it."

"So, what do I do, what happens now?" I asked.

"Well, for starters, it means that this is goodbye," he said.

Running over to him, I gave him a hug, pulling back finally and smiling at him sadly. "I'd say I'll miss you, but I kinda won't remember that I was here."

"Yeah." he said. "But just know now that I'll remember you, okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "I know. Thank you, Milo, for everything,"

"You're welcome. Now go on home." he said.

I nodded, a bright light starting to shimmer up around me. "Bye Milo," he said.

"Goodbye, Madison Holmes," he said.

****

Opening my eyes, I had to blink a few times to get rid of the blinding light surrounding me, the sound of a heart monitor going faster and louder. Oh my God, what is this place? I can't see anything, it's too bright and...

"Maddy," a voice breathed, and finally my vision was cleared so I could see.

Ashton.

"Ash?" I asked, and his grin grew bigger and brighter.

"Maddy!" he said, getting up and throwing his arms around me, hugging me tightly and I hugged him back, looking at him before kissing him softly.

"What..." I asked, trying to think back to what happened, but all I could think was darkness. "What happened?"

"You got in a car accident, Maddy," Ashton started, happy tears falling from his eyes. "Three weeks ago. You, uhm.." he trailed off. "You flatlined once, a couple weeks ago. I thought you were gonna l-leave me."

"Ashton," I assured him, hugging him again. "I'd never leave you. I promise. But you're home," I said, smiling.

"I've been home," he said, "You just didn't know it,"

Smiling, I kissed him once more, pulling away as he ran out of the room, returning with Luke, Michael, Calum, and...

My parents.

What?

"Maddy!" Luke yelled, running up and hugging me, the other boys doing the same.

"Hi," I said, smiling, before my gazed fixed on my parents.

What were they doing here?

"Madison," my mother said, coming up to me and taking my hand in hers. "How are you feeling?"

"Different," I said, looking between her and dad. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Maddy, your parents have something to tell you," Ashton said, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet.

"What is it?" I asked them.

"We're moving back to Sydney," Dad said, and my jaw dropped. I looked over at Mum, and she had tears in her eyes.

"What?" I asked, and she started nodding.

"Maddy, we're coming home." she said.

****

"Hey," a voice said, and my eyes fluttered open to see Ashton sitting there.

"Hey," I said, a smile crossing my face.

"Morning," he said, squeezing my hand softly.

"What time is it?" I asked him.

"Eight-thirty," he said, checking his phone.

"It's morning," I said then.

"Yeah," he nodded. "Look, Maddy, there's something I need to talk to you about."

"What is it?" I asked him.

"I know you were pretty out of it last night," he started. "So you probably didn't notice the uh, the bracelet," he said holding up our intertwined hands, which I had now noticed both had matching leather bracelets with the metal plates on them.

"No, I never noticed them," I told him. "What do they say?"

"His name," Ashton said, looking down at the ground sadly. "Austin's,"

"Ashton, I can explain..." I trailed off, tears forming in my eyes.

"I'm not mad," he assured me. "I promise. I understand why you kept it from me. It's not the thing you say face to face. My mum explained it to me."

"You're not?" I asked him, and he shook his head, his eyes meeting mine as he gave me a soft smile.

"I'm not," he said. "I promise you, I'm not."