joy

Pulling into the parking lot of an inn, Derek turned off the car engine and exited the car with Rosie following in tow. The sun had already gone down, it was almost pitch black but the bright red light that read 'Rosewood Inn' and a couple of lampposts along with the moon, illuminated the dark night.

Inside they were met with a homey looking reception area. The carpet was a patterned deep maroon color. A small sofa was pushed against a crème colored wall. A couple of single sofa's sat around a light brown coffee table. A fireplace was mounted in one of the walls, and on another a flat screen TV hung facing the front desk, a middle aged woman sat. Her hand propped up her head while her eyes remained closed. Derek tapped the small silver bell that was placed on the counter. Immediately, the lady's eyes sprang open.

"Oh, hi." She said dazedly, with a slight flush on her cheeks. "I'm Marielle. How can I help you?"

"Hi, do you have any rooms available?" Derek asked as he drummed his fingertips on the countertop.

The receptionist stifled a yawn through a nod and then turned to the computer. "Let me check." She typed away for a few seconds, before looking back up at the pair. "Well, right now we have one room with a king sized bed, or two separate rooms with singles."

Derek and Rosie exchanged a look.

"I don't mind sharing." Rosie said with a shrug.

If she was being honest, she really didn't want to be away from Derek. Over the past couple of days, Rosie had gotten so used to sharing a bed with him. She felt at peace and comfortable that way.

"We'll take the one room." Derek stated, with his eyes still on Rosie.

Once more Marielle nodded and typed on her computer. She checked them in, Derek paid, and then they were given their room key cards and directions to the room.

"Down the hall, there's an elevator. You're on the third floor, room 309." Marielle instructed.

*

They entered their shared room to find that right in the middle there was a large white bed with a mountain of pillows placed at the head of the bed. A closet and dressers were on one side of the room. Across from the bed, there was a TV hung on the crème colored wall. The carpet was a bright burgundy. A wooden framed glass sliding door led to another room. It had another TV, a coffee table, a love seat and a couple single couches. In that same room, there was another door that led to a bathroom. It had a deep bath tub, a shower, a sink, and a toilet.

After looking around in their room for the next couple of days, Derek reached into his stuffed backpack and pulled out a small bundle of clothes and a clear toiletry bag that contained personal hygiene items.

"Did you want to shower again?" He asked, and placed his items on the bed Rosie was sat on.

Tired from the drive, Rosie wanted to bury herself in the bed. Her hair was slightly damp from the shower she had taken only a couple of hours ago, but she still felt the need to at least refresh herself. She shook her head. "Do you mind if I just brush my teeth and wash my face before you go in?" Rosie asked as she looked up at him.

"No, go ahead." Derek responded. He kicked off his shoes and grabbed the remote control on the bedside nightstand.

Rosie quickly grabbed her little toiletry bag. "Thanks, I'll only be five minutes." She said, gratefully and hurried off to do her business.

When she was done, Rosie flipped off the light as she exited the bathroom to find Derek asleep. He was slightly slouched against the headboard with his change of clothes and toiletries tucked against his side. The TV was on and an old black and white movie played lowly in the background.