Chapter 6

Chapter 6 (Princess Tari’s POV)

As I waited patiently for the Prince’s return from their search for that elf, I fumed, mulling over my latest failed attempt at getting both the Princes to admire me. Legolas was easy, weak, the barrier to his mind already broken with his remorse and regret. Gorell, on the other hand, was a handful. He wasn’t so easily deceived, and when I pressed harder, weakening his mind, he sent us away, regaining his strength as we left.

I expected no less from the Prince, as he was rumored to be the strongest. I hardly believed it when I first heard, but I had to reassess. He was definitely going to be a bump in my plan to marry an elf prince...and I had my eyes set on Legolas, as my goal. He was perfect. I just need him to forget all about this ‘Elemmire’, or I shall need to eliminate her...but it seems she has already left the picture, but I need make sure she won’t come waltzing back from the ‘dead’.

“Sister?” Princess Eindril asked, stepping into the room, placing a tentative hand on my arm. “Are you alright? You look pale.”

I smiled at my ‘sister’. “I’m worried,” I admitted. At least that part was true. “I am worried for the safety of our gracious hosts, Prince Legolas and Gorell. They are returning from a village nearby.” I continued, lying through my teeth easily.

Eindril smiled, nodding happily. She was the youngest elf I knew, by far, as she had just matured. Her blonde locks bounced with her nodding, as she went to hug me tightly. “I shall wait for them with you, then!”

I had to force a smile. “Then let us go wait by the gates, my dear sister.” I suggested wisely, keeping the fake smile plastered on my cheeks. “We’ll see them faster that way, and be the very first welcome them home!”

Eindril let out a squeal of excitement, bolting towards the stairs to the main floor of the castle of Mirkwood. She stopped, and turned to me expectantly. “Are you coming now Tari? Or shall we wait a moment or two?” She asked curiously.

“No, let’s go now.” I spoke up. “We can’t keep the Princes waiting too long, can we?”

“No!” Eindril gasped, looking shocked that I’d even think of making the princes wait for our presence. “That would be beyond rude! I cannot think of making them wait!”

She rushed to my side, and put her iron grip on my wrist. “Let’s go, go, go!” She demanded, pulling me in the way of the stairs, and then down the flights to the main level, and out of the castle, onto the grass, before stopping at the gates.

“Oh...” She said disappointedly. “They haven’t returned yet.”

I smiled, patting her shoulder. “I forgot to tell you, Eindril, but they were planning on sleeping there, and returning in the morning. Why don’t you leave for dinner, and I shall join you later? I need some fresh air to calm my worries.”

“Alright!” She exclaimed sadly, before turning on her heel and entering the castle. “We’ll awaken early in the morning to welcome them home!”

“Foolish girl...” I chuckled, turning my eyes back to the forest. I smiled, spotting the parade of the princes and guards that I had sent with them.

I took a couple steps out of the perimeters of the Mirkwood castle, and waited for their arrive, thankful the annoying Princess Eindril had left for dinner. She was amazingly perceptive, and if I attempted to soothe Legolas in her presence, she would sense it. I shuddered at the thought of being caught, before my scheme could even be set into motion. As I waited, I thought about the problem that this ‘Elemmire’ girl would cause to my plans. I couldn’t take Legolas’ heart for my own, as long as he remembered his feelings for her...I sighed, concluding that if I couldn’t persuade him that his feelings for me were greater than the ones for this ‘dead girl’, then I could always settle for Gorell. That way I wouldn’t have to spill more blood than I have to.