Chapter 13

really storry guys, there may be a little bit of swearing (in this chapter or on ones that follow) I have just been getting very into it as I write....

Chapter 13 (Elinya's POV)

It was easily high noon by the time Legolas, Gorell, Reinya and myself made it back to our camp just outside of Lothlorien. The four of us had spent hours attempting to follow the trail left by the three bandits who survived, but we were without luck.

"Elinyon," I heard Reinya call my name in a hushed voice. I ran out of our tent to see what was going on; Reinya sat crouched up against one of the guard's tents. I could tell that she was eavesdropping by the way she held her ear up against the cloth.

"Reynon!" I scolded, "how dare you, prying on other people's business. You should know better."

Reinya struggled to keep her laughter down, "You have to hear this though, the guards are talking about whos-,"

I did not think this was appropriate, "Reinya," I whispered to make sure that no other elf could hear her real name. "Stop it please, what if someone caught you!"

"Oh come on, lighten up!" Reinya rolled her eyes and laughed. Apparently whatever the guards were talking about was pretty funny.

I sighed, and got up, and almost walked into Gorell, who looked just as surprised as I felt. “Looking for someone Prince Gorell?” Reinya asked lightly from behind me, still trying to contain her laughter.

“Actually, I was. Renyon, can I speak with you...” He looked pointedly at me. “Alone?”

Reinya gave me a weird look, but shrugged. “Sure. I’ll follow you.” She said, and stood up, following Gorell.

Now, I was curious. I stealthily followed them, and then, like Reinya had only moment ago, pressed my ear to the tent’s side. I heard the rustling of chairs, and could only assume that they sat down.

“What do you want to talk about, Prince Gorell?” Reinya asked, and I could tell she was nervous.

“Well, Reinya, I believe I would like to know why you are here.” Gorell asked, and I froze. Did he just call her....Reinya? “I believe it is because you want to make sure your horses don’t get killed. Also, if one does get injured, you are close enough to the person who took them, you could murder me in my sleep if you wanted to.”

“Too bad you sleep so little, huh?” Reinya said in a bitter voice. “So what now, clever Prince? Going to kick me out, send me home to my parents with a scolding?”

I almost laughed a little at Reinya, but held it in, knowing if she were to go, I would soon follow her. I couldn’t stay here without her presence, her guidance in being so unelf-like nobody liked you, but they respected you...and didn’t challenge you to duels.

Gorell laughed, and then said, “At least you didn’t punch me again, this time.” He chuckled, “But no. I would never send such a great fighter away from war. But you have to promise me to keep your identity secret, and not get yourself killed.”

“Why do you care if I die or not?” Reinya asked, sounding cautious.

“Because if you die, and we go to burn or bury your body, people will find out you were a female, and it’ll-”

“Reflect badly on you?” Reinya asked, and I heard Gorell pause.

“Yes, and also, I understand the whole men at war thing, but in war, if a female elf got killed, I have to carry that on my shoulders.” Gorell said, but his argument sounded flimsy, like it was something he just came up with, making me believe the real reason wasn’t that.