Chapter 7

Chapters 7 (Elinya’s POV)

“Come on Reinya! I mean Renyon,” I corrected myself and made sure no one else heard me. “You have to learn how to use a sword!”

“Why? Can’t I just use my boomerangs!” Reinya argued.

“How are you suppose to fight Orcs that are arms length away?” I countered, making a point.

“I just won’t then. I’ll leave that for you, since you seem so familiar with a sword.” Reinya told me.

“I have not used a sword in many years. How do you expect me to fight off a dozen Orcs by myself?” I asked.

“Then show me how to use it,” Reinya suggested, though I knew she was just trying to buy time and think of a better excuse. She was a little predictable.

“Fine,” I sighed. I pulled my sword out of it’s sheath, the sword felt oddly familiar. It’s long sharp blade felt as light as a feather and it’s gold hilt with diamond encrusted on the side glittered in the sunlight.

I swung the sword around in circles. I was impressed by the balance in the blade. Looking around the training grounds I saw male elf sitting on the grass waiting for a partner to practice.

“Sir,” I said standing in front of him, “Will you fight me?”

“I would never put down an invitation for a duel,” he said standing up.

We walked over where Reinya stood and drew our weapons. The male elf was slightly taller than I was, which meant I would have to be swift and quick. Just before we started the duel I glanced at Reinya who stood with her arms crossed against her chest.

“Let the best elf win,” I said shaking hands with the elf before we moved onto are ready stance.

The male elf took the first swing at my head, and I quickly ducked out of the way. Then without a second delay the elf took another swing, and I blocked it with my sword. My heart was racing, and I felt exhilarated.

As the elf advanced on me I ducked out of the way and behind a large tree. He stood in confusion for a second which gave me time to climb up the tree just above head height.

The elf ran to the spot where I stood moments ago, he spun around looking for where I had gone. Just as he looked up to one of the overhanging branches I swung down knocking his sword right out of his hands and into mine. He lay on the ground in disbelief.

“Good duel,” I said handing his sword back to him.

“You cheated,” he exclaimed.

“How?” I asked unsure of what I had done.

“You climbed the tree,” the elf explained, “this was suppose to be a sword fight.”