22.

I ran across the field with my dog Max. Holding my gun up scouting the area when suddenly there was a ring of fire. I dropped to the ground and shot back. I glanced to my right to see Jay. He shot a couple rounds before getting up and running. I followed Max to the nearest shelter. The ground shook violently under me. There was a loud explosion dust flying everywhere. I stuck the end of my gun out the window and fired at the visible enemy. I was supposed to go home today. I couldn't see my mom. I was crying. I reached into my thigh pocket and produced a hand grenade. I lifted it to my mouth taking the pin in my mouth and through it out the door to my left as hard as my arm would let me. I counted fifteen seconds and it exploded. Max barked angrily. I wiped around to see a gun pointed at me. I put my hands on the trigger of my gun and pointed it at his head. I shot he fell to the ground. Max took off running, I followed running at a steady pace with all my fear on. We got to an area were it was calmed down some but not all the way. I waited hours in my spot were no one was till the ground stopped shaking and no more guns could be heard. I waited another ten minutes till Max wined. She stood and wagged her tail. I slowly stood up with my gun steady. She crouch/walked to a open space. I looked around to see bodies every were.
"Help! I'm stuck!" A faint voice yelled. I watched Max's ears they stood straight up. "Here! Max here!!" The voice yelled. She took of running to a spot were a roof had collapsed. I ran to her to see Jay laying on the ground under it trying to pull himself out.
"Where is everyone? The bodies aren't ours." I pulled the slab in front of me up about five inches. I had sweat running down my face. He crawled out and dropped back to the ground in a coughing sweaty mess.
"They've gone. Last thing I saw was a chop loading them. I yelled but no one could hear me." I sat down leaning my back against the fallen debrè. I wiped the sweat from my brow.
"You still got your communicator?" I nodded and shifted over to Max. I unzipped a pocket and took out the small box and ear piece. I hooked it up to small ear price and tinned the channels.
I stuffed the small price in my ear. I pressed the comm button with my left thumb.
"Mobile to base. Mobile to base. Come in base!" I let go of it listening to the sound waves go up and down.
"Base to mobile were are you the locator isn't working. State name." The gruff voice barked.
"Last battle got lost everyone left in chopper without us. This is Sargent Peterson. And Petie officer Jay Stows." I let go again waiting for the response that came seconds later.
"Do you have supplies and your coordinates?" I ruffled around on the ground.
"Yes and no. Go to last place choppers were sent to rescue." The line went dead. My tears were still flowing.
"Hey baby girl don't cry." I snapped my head to look at him. "What did I do something?" I looked to the sky.
"No just someone I'll never see again used to call me that." There was a soft 'oh' before Max came and laid across my lap. I ran my fingers detangling her fur. We waited the rest of the day till there was a soft whur run the sky. It gradually got louder and louder till it was right above us with a spot light. I jumped up and waved my hands yelling. A ladder and basket came down slowly. I moved the basket to Jay who was still laying on the ground. He sat up as much as her could so I could roll him into the basket. I told Max to jump in. When they were both secured I gave a thumbs up and they went up like a spider retreating. I took ahold of the ladder and began to climb. About half way up a gun fired. When I got to the side to sets of arms pulled me in. I looked up to see Max and Jay sitting in the seats. Two men were on either side pointing a huge machine gun out the door. The pilot and co pilot were both female. The co looked to me concerned. I nodded assuring I was fine. The chopper flew for a couple hours before descending and landing on a pad. I was to weak to get up.  Everything was blurry. They tried to get max out but she wouldn't leave my side. I was picked up bridle style and lifted out of the craft. Between the swaying and blurry vision I passed out.

I heard someone talking but I couldn't tell who it was.  My eyes cracked open enough for me to see a doctor talking to the general. They both looked to me when I groaned.
"Is she well enough to go home?" She asked quietly.
"When she wakes up enough to stand." With that he left.
"Emilee wake up you need to go home. I called you family they are waiting." She sat next to me.
"How long was I out?" I stretched a little.
"Week. You were shot in the leg you lost a lot of blood but you can walk." I snapped up.
"A week!" I shrieked.
"Looks like your awake." She gave a low amused laugh. An hour later I was walking out the door with my things heading to the airport. In my right was Max's leash and my left was the stack of unopened letters from Lana.
I sat down in my seat with Max in he one next to me listening to the flight attendant give safety instructions. I looked at the first letter that she mailed. I knew it was hers but the writing. She didn't put a return address on it so I couldn't send it back. I slid my pinky finger under the seal and ripped it open.

      Dear Emilee,
          I know you don't want mail from me but you shall have it. (Evil queen voice) you are my daughter no matter what you do where you go. I will always love you as my own. I wish we didn't fight. All I wanted was for you to be happy and safe. I'm going to keep it short because I know you busy. But please baby girl. Come back to me in one piece.
       Your mother,
               Lana

Comment
&
Vote!!