36.

I woke up around 11:30. I rolled over and pulled Jen closer to me. She giggled and wrapped her arms around me.
"Mourning Mrs. Morrison." I whispered with my eyes closed. She kissed my nose.
"Good mourning beautiful." She whispered back. I opened my eyes to see her emerald like eyes staring back, admiring me.
"What are we gonna do today?" I asked pressing my fire head to hers.
"Well we could get dressed and go to the beach, or we could be lazy and watch tv while snuggling. Even better we could make breakfast." He eyes gleamed with excitement. I giggled and kissed her.
"That sounds excellent. We can go make breakfast then go to the beach then come home and be lazy for the evening." I bite my lip.
"We can. Let's get up." She went to get out off bed but I pulled her back to me.
I kissed her lightly.
"Okay." I whispered. She smiled and got up. The comforter falling off her bare body. I watched as she walked into the bathroom.
"Are you going to join me?" She asked turning on the water. I was about to answer when my phone went off. I leaned over to her nightstand and grabbed my phone.
"Hello?" "Uh Mrs. Lana Morrison?" "Can I ask who's calling?" "Yes this is Emilees locator. I'm calling because you are the closest family member. She is currently in the hospital for being shot twice. Will you make your way to Hospital Adventista Silvestre?" She asked. My stomach fell to the floor.
"Yes I'll be there in an hour or less." I mumbled.
"Thank you." She hung up and I let the phone fall to my lap. Jen walked in still naked.
"Who was that?" She asked picking up my phone.
"Emilees locator." I closed my eyes.
"Oh? What she want?" She sat down on the bed and hugged me.
"Emilees been shot." I whispered. I heard a gasp and was pulled in tighter.
"Let's get in the shower and go." She pulled away pulling me out of the bed and into the shower.

I let Jen drive because I didn't trust myself not to drive like a maniac. After I told her where to go she plugged it into her phone.
When we parked out side the building we both ran to the door. She held the door open and walked straight to the front desk.
"Hi what room is Emilee Peterson in?" I asked frantically to the receptionist.
"I can't give her room num-" she was cut off my a gruff voice behind us.
"Follow me." I turned around to see Dylan. He and red eyes but looked stable other wise. I nodded and grabbed Jens hand. We walked to an elevator and went up to the third level.
"How is she?" Jen broke the silence.
"She's on oxygen and blood. The bullets are out. She's sleeping not very much brain activity. Don't touch her unless Charlie let's you." He didn't take his eyes off the metal door. It dinged and opened. We followed him down a corridor.
"Who's Charlie?" I asked thinking it might be a kid.
"You'll see." When we reached her door it was open and dimly lit. I walked in with Jen to see a Doberman laying next to her with its head on her chest. A dog. Of course.
I walked to the dog who picked up its head and watched me. I sat in the chair next to the bed just watching. Jen stood behind me while Dylan was sitting on her other side.
"Hey buddy can I hold her hand?" I whispered. I put my fist next to the dogs nose for him to smell me. When he did he placed his head under my hand. I sighed great full the dog and taken kindly to me. I rubbed his head and grabbed Emilees hand with my other. I smiled when the dog out its head back on her chest.
"Looks like he likes you." Jen whispered. I looked to see Dylan texting.
"Who ya texting?" I asked suspiciously.
He looked up from his phone.
"The men they are getting things from the house." He sighed and a moment later put it down.
I nodded and looked back to Emilee. Her heart monitor was steady. Then it got skippy and went straight. I jumped and pushed the call button. Everyone stood up and watched. I moved Charlie off the bed when the doctor came in. He told everyone to leave but Charlie wouldn't go anywhere. It took all three of us to get the big dog out. I heard them call three times for shock each time higher than the last. When he came back out I was on the floor hugging the dog.
"Mr. Torez I'm sorry for your loss." He whispered and walked away with his nurses. Dylan broke down and Jen pulled him into a hug. I just sat there shocked. Charlie must of known because he howled. When he quit he walked back into the room. Jen pulled me off the floor.
"Lana." She whispered. I shook my head.
"No. No. This is like last time. I'll go in and she'll be laughing because of her joke. No she's not dead." I pulled away and went in the room. She was laying there with out oxygen without the blood help. I checked her pulse nothing. I put my finger under her nose nothing.
And just like that my day went from happy to mourning her death. I sat back down in the chair. I blinked a couple times.
"Lana she's gone." Jen put her hands on my shoulders and crept down to my level.
"Can I have a moment with her?" Dylan hesitated but walked out hastily. Jen nodded and walked out as well. When the door closed I took her hand in both of mine.
"Remember the last time we where in a hospital? When you got your stitches out. We yelled at each other. I've gone through all your things. Do you want to know what I found? Art. I found a chances that didn't have a board. Just the paper stuff. It was blue and white. It said,'being brave is not the same as not being scared, it's deciding something is more important than being scared.' You don't know how true that is. I fount a purple frame with a flower on it. It had a picture of a dog family on lined paper. And when I took the paper out of the frame I found a two dollar bill." I paused. "And there was this sculpture. Of a dog. Your mother told me how you made it. I'm impressed. I went through all of your drawing binders, toats, anything that had been yours. I saw how detailed you had drawn and painted. I saw your collages. Your closet was the most fun to go through. I have all your sweaters that I can fit into. I wear your camo ones when I miss you. Your truck. It's cleaned every month. I drive it every chance I get. Your extra drawers that had the little things. Like your rings. My favorite drawers where the ones with books and note pads. You where so creative and organized." I laughed to myself. "The most precious thing I found was your diary. You wrote your feelings down. You weren't afraid of what you wrote. Though I know the fear of someone reading it meant that you tore some pages or half of pages out. I read that thing almost everyday. When your mother handed me your old school note books. I flipped through them to see notes. But in the back of each one. About ten pages from the back there was quotes. Ones you made up or those you loved. My favorite ones I cut out and placed in frames and hung them around my house. So did you other mothers. My all time favorite I had painted on the wall right in front of the sink in the kitchen. It says,'I'm not here to impress you with my looks or abilities, I'm here to improve myself for me.'" I took a shaky breath. When they came back in we all just cried till we called her parents.

Comment
&
Vote