23.

I just got here and we were setting up decorations in the gym. I was help hanging a banner above the stage when Marianna's phone rang. She held it up with one hand the banner with the other.
"Hello?" Her face went from determined to have the banner up to sick to her stomach in a second.
"Ok thank you." She was crying. We dropped the banner and I practically ran to her.
"What's wrong?" I sat next to her.
"It's Emilee she's not coming home today." My gut clenched.
"Why not?" I shook my head not wanting to believe what I was hearing.
"She got shot in the leg they did emergency surgery." She broke down. I held her close as Jerry came over and comforted his what do you call it? He's Emilees bio dad but she is still married to her step dad. But their split and she's dating him so I guess it would be girl friend.
"She's ok right?" I was not sure of my voice but it came out.
"Yes she's sleeping for now."

Week later:
We got word that Emilee left the hospital and was flying back here. They said that she was determined to get home even if that meant she had to be a stow away. But she left with a boarding pass. Everything was legal. The gym was redecorated and more people came to help. Her mom went to get her. Everyone had walked her or parked at the school across the street.  The majority of the group was on stage behind the curtain. Those that were not were either in the kitchen or some place hidden. I heard voices on the other end of the gym.
"Mom what are we doing here again?" I smiled hearing Emilee whine.
"We are here waiting for the bishop."
"For what?" The door behind them closed.
"To get your temple recommend." With that the curtains opened and the gym lights flashed on and everyone jumped out causing Emilee to cower behind her mom. Everyone was laughing and cheering. When her mind caught up with what was happening she smiled and joined in talking to people.
I made my way to the kitchen to help dish up. I walked in and everything went quite. I looked around to see some older woman and some young girls that looked to be Emilees age.
"Your Lana Parrilla?" One girl asked me with the biggest smile ever. I nodded and washed my hands. I heard the girls excited whispers. I walked over to one lady who had to be either my age or younger.
"Hi! What can I help with? By the way I'm Lana." The brunette smiled at me.
"Sara. You can help with the fruit." I nodded and stood beside her and started to chop watermelon into small bites.
"So your the famous Lana I've read in Emilees letters?" I stopped and looked to her. She was making a fruit salad.
"She talked about me?" She chuckled lightly.
"Yes Emilee tells me everything. I'm her 'other mother'." She put quotes around the other mother part. She looked to me and smiled lightly.
"She really likes you you know." I went back to slicing.
"So I've been told." She chuckled again. What is so funny?
"She isn't one to open up to people the way she did with you. I've known Emilee sense she was in sixth grade. And she only started seeing me as a mom a year later." She put some wiped cream in the bowl. "Emilee has been through many things most people don't think will happen to them. She's witnessed things that a girl her age should have never even have to say she's been through that. I know about everything you guys did together." My eyes went wide. I froze because some of the things we've done together are kinda weird.
"Don't worry her mom doesn't know. Most of them. I'm pretty sure she left out some but those are none of my business." I relaxed a little.
"Emilee talked high of you." I stated. She finished and went onto another bowl. I looked up out the opening to see her laughing and hugging people.
"I bet. Emilee told me of the first night she was out there. Thank you for doing that." I scrunched my eye brows. "Kidnapping her was a good idea. I would have done it to." I looked up again to see Emilee was looking for some one. I went the sink and washed the sticky juice off my hands.
"Sara! I've missed you have I told you that?" She squealed.
"Yes you have sweat girl. I've missed you to." I stayed facing the other wall I didn't want to interrupt their moment.
"I feel bad."
"Why?"
"Because Lana sent cards every Holliday for the past two years and I haven't talked to her. I've opened them and smiled at them but I could never bring myself to reply."
"Why not? She's a close friend! Like a mother to you."
"I know I was scared. I ran Sara"
"You should call her."
"Right now? What if she doesn't want to talk to me after everything?"
"Non sense. She'll want to. Here's my phone. Go call her"
"Thanks I'm going to the moms area." I waited a couple seconds and turned around. Sara was staring at me with a questioning look.
"What?" She crossed her arms.
"Why didn't you say something?" I took a deep breath.
"I don't know." I leaned against the counter.
"Yes you do know other wise you wouldn't have done it." I held back my eye roll. My phone started to ring. I pulled it out of my pocket.
"Is this your number?" I held it up for her to see.
"Yes go answer it." I walked out of the busy kitchen and down the hall. I came to a room with a long table and many chairs around it. I sat down and pressed the answer button.
"Hello?" I took a deep breath.
"Lana?" Her voice broke.
"Who's this?" I decided to pull it out a bit.
"It's me." This was going to be fun.
"Who's me?" I teased.
"It's not funny you know exactly who it is." I knew I'd get to her. Held my laughter in.
"Can't recall. Does me have a name?" I heard her grunt.
"Yes in fact she does. It's Emilee." I pretended to be shocked. "Wow even on the phone you can act quiet well." I laughed. I couldn't hold it in.
"Yes dear I know. How are you?"
"Well I got shot in the leg. But don't worry I'm fine. I'm actually back home."
"Oh. That's good."
"I wish you were here."
"Yea me too." I stood up and walked out of the room.
"Any way what are you doing?"
"Well I'm answering the door so I'll call you later." I lied. But she'll be glad in a few.

Comment
&
Vote!!