XI.-The Not-So Boyfriend Zone-

Song for this chapter:

1."Salted Wound" by Sia

---

Richard felt awkward standing there as Austin and Maine exchange banters that only them can understand. He then looked at Austin from head to toe and found nothing special. "I hate you already" he thought to himself while glaring at them, hoping that Maine notices him. He knows her childhood best friend hasn't done anything to him, but there's just something about his aura that instantly turns him off.  If there's "Love at first sight" , what he felt for Austin is the exact opposite. 

"Maine?" he asked but she's too busy to even acknowledge his presence in the room. 

Having enough of it, Richard just sighed and walked out of the room ... leaving her behind. "Fuck this" he thought to himself as he started the long and lonely walk towards the cafeteria. 

---

Maine is too fixated on Austin that she literally forgot Richard's existence. Finally realizing the fact that she was not alone before Austin and their boss came in, she asked her childhood best friend to turn around so they can shake hands.  But much to their surprise, Richard is nowhere to be found. 

"He already left .. I didn't even know" Maine uttered, already sensing the something has gone wrong. "Maybe he's busy" Austin suggested. 

"Maybe" she replied, hoping that it was indeed the reason why he abruptly left her office without even saying goodbye. "Do you wanna eat breakfast? I'll treat you since it's your first day" she told Austin. 

"Of course" he replied. Maine smiled and then the two walked out. The moment they arrived at the cafeteria, Maine already noticed Richard sitting and eating alone by the corner. That's why she told Austin that as soon as they get their foods, they will sit next to him. After being able to do so , Maine and Austin sat right in front of Richard. 

"Hey" she greeted, hoping to make him smile. After he did not respond, Maine then apologized for forgetting his breakfast treat offer that he made earlier this morning. She genuinely thought that's the reason why he got pissed off. She's still unaware that it's something else. 

"Sir, she's talking to you" Austin uttered politely, noticing how Richard kept on ignoring Maine's remarks. She thought Richard would finally answer but instead, he got up and walked away silently. Completely ignoring their existence. 

"Your partner is a wanker .. such a jerk .. let him be" Austin told her. 

"Nah ... he's just like that ... very cranky" Maine commented, knowing that she has to talk to him later.

"I don't like him"

"Well .. Richard probably doesn't like you too" she thought to herself as they continued eating.  

---

Richard decided to spend the entire day focusing on his work. For the first time in a long time, he felt a lot normal. Well ... professional-wise. Personal-wise however, his heart is acting crazy. Richard doesn't know what it is , but whenever he sees Austin with Maine he just can't help but get mad at the guy. He knows the lad didn't do anything personal to him, all Richard knows is that he annoys him a lot. 

He then heard  a knock. "Come in" he uttered and so Lydia showed herself. 

"What do you want?" he asked. 

"Sir, you have to sign these papers"

"Okay"

Lydia then handed the papers to him. While signing then, an idea came into his mind.