Waiting

As the car drove through noisy traffic, Jess sat in the back listening to her music. The lyrics blasted into her ears and she lip-synced to it song after song.

"We don't have to be ordinary, make your best mistakes..." Shawn sang in her ears. Jess couldn't wait to arrive at the concert. She would actually be MEETING Shawn Mendes for the first time. She had been a fan for longer than she could remember and loved him from the start. She never went to one of his concerts before, making the experience so exciting.

"Jess." her mom said, but Jess couldn't hear her,"Jess! JESS!!" Jess abruptly pulled out her earbuds.

"What?!" she asked annoyed. It was her favorite part of her favorite song and her mom made her pause it.

"We are here." her mom said happily. Jess's face lit up as she took in her surroundings. Next to them was a big building with a long screen running across it saying "Shawn Mendes Tonight-Sold Out". Jess couldn't believe she was there. She was next to the building Shawn Mendes was in. Squealing, she hopped out of the car and raced towards the door. Her mother followed. There was a line of people all waiting to get into the music hall for their meet and greet. Jess walked to the back of the line. Even though there were a lot of people ahead of her and she would wait a while just to spend ten seconds with Shawn, she never stopped smiling.

Jess was unaware of the time that passed as she and her mother waited to enter the building. When they finally reached the door, a man scanned the papers her mother held and gave them string necklaces with large plastic pendants saying "Shawn Mendes VIP" on them. Once they walked into the music hall, they waited another twenty minutes on another line.

Jess suddenly felt her mother's hand on her shoulder. She turned around. "Sweetie, are you ok?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine mom. Why?"

"Honey, your trembling and rocking back and forth."

"Oh, I am." Jess looked down to see that she was, actually trembling and swaying her body, "I'm just excited. REALLY, excited. Like I think I am going to explode! I am going to meet SHAWN MENDES! THEE SHAWN MENDES!" Her mother laughed.

"I'm so happy! I guess it was worth the money."

Jess was about to reply when a woman called to them saying "Next!" They entered a small room with only a black backdrop, a camera man, one security guard, and an exit door. Jess couldn't believe her eyes when she saw who stood in front of the backdrop. 

There, standing in front of her, was Shawn Mendes.