You Can Sing?

One Month Later

Jess ran to the door as she heard a car honk. Throwing on her white vans, she rushed out the door and into the car sitting on her driveway. In the drivers seat was the one and only, Shawn Mendes.

"Helloooooo." Shawn said, giving her a quick, pecking kiss. Jess buckled her seat belt and Shawn started driving away. They were going out to lunch and then hanging out. Shawn was just beginning to be able to do stuff again after the Paris attack, his bullet wounds finally almost healed. He still wore soft bandages around his waist and leg to protect them from anything hard he came in contact with, but otherwise he was good as new. Their secret dating was not so secret anymore and since their kiss at the hospital, everyone knew about them. Some fans supported their relationship and others sadly did not. But Jess and Shawn did not care. They were happy with each other and that was all that mattered.

"Hi muffin." Jess replied. She never thought in a million years that she would actually ever get to call him that. She came up with the nickname for him years before he knew she existed and called him that when talking about him, but never thought he would actually ever hear her. 

Shawn was done with his tour and had a lot of free time now. Jess finished school and started summer camp. The couple drove to the nearest pizza place and walked inside. Immediately, people started taking pictures of them and asking to take some with Shawn. He only took a few, then asked the people to step back. They did as he asked and gave them their space. Sitting down, Jess started shoving pizza in her face. She wasn't the most proper when eating, especially if she was hungry. That was why her and Shawn were so perfect together. Neither was he. They loved food and did not judge each other for eating a lot. 

"So, how has camp been?" Shawn asked Jess, in between bites.

"Its good. Its my twelfth year going to the camp and I'm pretty close with a few people so it is nice. We go on trips and when at camp, hang around and play games. I just wish I could spend more time with you! You are finally available to hang and of course I am not!"

"Its ok. We will make time to see each other, I promise. Who are some of your friends? Would I know any of them."

"No you wouldn't. But some of them are Shae, Isabella, Madeline, Maya, Steven and Matt."

"Wait, Steven and Matt? Boys?!" Shawn asked protectively.

"Yeah Shawn, boys. They are just my friends though, don't worry."

"I don't know if I like this Jess. Maybe you should quit camp and just stay with me all the time. That might be better. I like that idea! Lets do it!"

"No! Stop being one of those clingy, over-protective boyfriends."

"Fine! Just, make sure they are your friends. ONLY friends."

Jess laughed and finished her pizza. They left and went to Shawn's house about twenty minutes from the place. The whole ride, Shawn continued to talk about her two guy friends at camp. Like he had anything to worry about. They were ugly, blockhead fifteen year old boys. He was a seventeen year old angel who must have fallen from the heavens and landed on a guitar. 

When they entered his house, Jess slipped her shoes off and they walked into the living room. Sitting there was Shawn's sister Aaliyah on her phone.

"Hey Aaliyah!" Jess said. They had become pretty good friends in the past month. They actually had a lot of stuff in common. They both liked musical.ly and their phones and music. That was enough to make two girls friends for life.

"Heyyyy Jess." Aaliyah said, then continued looking at her phone. Shawn turned on the TV, but nothing was on. So the couple decided to go into his room. Jess flopped onto his bed and stared at the familiar ceiling. She had been at his house so many times the past month, it almost felt like a second home. Shawn laid down next to her.

"Vhat do you vant to do? he said in a bad Dracula voice.

"Dunno."

"I need to pee." Shawn said and stood up.

"Good for you. Big boy finally learns how to use the potty!" Jess exclaimed while hysterically laughing.

"Not funny." Shawn said.

"So funny." Jess smiled and he walked into the bathroom. She had a song stuck in her head, so she started quietly singing it.

"Just a drop in the ocean, a change in the weather. I was praying that you and me might end up together. Its like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert. That I'm holding you close..." she sang.

Without her noticing, Shawn momentarily poked his head through the door and listened. Then she finished the song, he came out clapping.

"Jess, I did not know you can sing!" She looked at him surprised.

"I can't. I sound like a dying pig." Jess snorted.

"No you don't! You sound really good. Hey, how about we post a cover of us singing something on my youtube channel."

"Uh, maybe..." Jess mumbled. She was never quite good at singing and was not sure she wanted the the whole world to hear her.

"Come on, it will be fun!" Shawn said happily and grabbed her hands, pulling her up. They sat down and Shawn pulled out his guitar. "What song?"

"Um, how about Stitches? I know every word by heart and the tune very well." They agreed to sing his number one song and Shawn started the camera.

"Hey guys! Jess and I are going to sing Stitches. Hope you like it!" Shawn said, then started playing the guitar.

"I thought that I've been hurt before

But no one's ever left me quite this sore

Your words cut deeper than a knife

Now I need someone to breathe me back to life

Got a feeling that I'm going under

But I know that I'll make it out alive

If I quit calling you my lover

Move on. 

You watch me bleed until I can't breath." Shawn started. It was Jess's turn to sing. (S: Shawn singing. J: Jess singing)

J: I'm shaking falling onto my knees.

S: And now that I'm without your kisses

J: I'll be needing stitches.

S: I'm tripping over myself

J: I'm aching begging you to come help

S&J: And now that I'm without your kisses, I'll be needing stitches.

J: Just like a moth drawn to a flame

Oh you lured me in I couldn't sense the pain

Your bitter heart cold to the touch

Now I'm gonna reap what I sew

I'm left seeing red on my own

Got a feeling that I'm going under

But I know that I'll make it out alive

If I quit calling you my lover

Move on...." The two teens sang their hearts out until they finished the song. Jess had never felt so accomplished in her entire life. She did not want to admit it, but she actually sounded good for once.