Thats What Friends Are For

Jess put her head in her hands and cried. Life was so annoying. She had no idea if Shawn was actually telling her the truth. All Jess knew was what she saw and nothing else. Anger boiled inside of her. She knew Alli was bad news! So why didn't she go with her instincts and say something to Shawn? Jess was too nice of a person. She balled her hands into fists. Not for much longer she wasn't. Then sadness washed over her once again and she calmed down. Her emotions and mood swings were like they would be during her week, except multiplied by 10.

Jess kept her throbbing head in her hands until she heard a knock on her bedroom door. She peeked up and saw two heads pop threw the ajar door. One was curly, brown haired with freckles and the other was dirty blond with a stupid grin on her face.

"Hello, Jaime and Maddy." Jess said quietly, then looked at the ground again. Her friends walked into the room and sat next to her. Jaime put her hand on her back.

"Hey, whats wrong?"

"Yeah, what is wrong cupcake?" Maddy said, holding in a hard laugh. She called Jess cupcake almost as a way to mock her relationship with Shawn. Or their EX-relationship.

"Don't call me that!" Jess said harshly. Maddy was taken back by this comment, as Jess never usually cared when she called her cupcake. Jess suddenly realized that she hurt her friend's feelings and felt bad. "I'm sorry. It's just...just...I...I don't want to talk about it." She looked away from them, not wanting to talk about what happened with Shawn.

"Jess what happened?" Jaime asked, concerned about her friend. Jess stayed silent. "Jess, talk to me. Or I will make you. Ok. SPILL!"

Maddy grabbed Jess's head and angled it towards them. Then she intensely looked her in the eyes. "Talk, talk or I will have to pull out my little bag of forcing tools." The goofy grin returned to Maddy's face. She could never be serious, even if she had to save her life.

Jess took a deep breath. "Long story short, Shawn had his ex over last night and the three of us hung out. They said they were just "friends". But then she asked where something was and he showed her and since they took a while, I went to see what took so much time and...and they were kissing."

Jaime and Maddy looked at Jess with shocked expressions. Then they got angry.

"That big loser, idiot, b****y boy! What a f****** dirt bag!!!" Maddy screamed. She was enraged that someone hurt her friend. Jaime's reaction was a little different. She decided to put her anger aside for the moment and relax.

"Jess, I'm so sorry. I can't believe he did that. I wish...I wish I could have done something."

Jess smiled for a second, happy that she had friends who really cared. "I wish I could have done something too." she said sighing.

"HE IS SUCH A, oh wait. Yeah...I'm sorry too. You deserve someone so much better than that Jess." Maddy said, realizing it was not a scream-fest.

"Yeah, maybe...But here is the thing. He keeps saying that she kissed him and he did not kiss her back. He feels horrible and wants my forgiveness. He says that he would have never kissed her. Do I believe him though?" Jess said, still unsure of her believes. What was the truth and what was a lie? She had no idea. And neither did her friends. Then Jess's phone rang. It was Shawn. Again. Maddy snatched it before Jess could get it.

"I would like some words with this boy!" she said and walked to the other side of the room, answering the call.

______________________________________________________

Shawn let his phoned-hand linger at his ear, even after Jess ended the call. He told her everything. He let it all out. But was it enough? Was it enough to repay for what he made Jess feel? Probably not. Shawn stood up and walked to the kitchen, stomping around like big-foot. His family made no moves to interact with him as he poured himself some cereal and ate, grumpily. After he ate, he went back to his room. He stared at his wall. On it, was a picture of him and Jess at the beach. It was her screensaver. Or at least was if she hadn't already changed it. They were so happy then. Why couldn't they be happy now? Shawn let himself fall onto his bed in distress. Life was annoying. Especially being a 17 year old pop-star with a amazing girlfriend and horrible ex. He decided to call Jess, again. Maybe she would talk this time. The phone rang for some time, then someone picked up. But it was not Jess.

"You little IDIOT! You HURT my FRIEND and anyone who HURTS my FRIEND has to go through ME!" Jess's friend Maddy screamed. They had met once, at a summer party Jess and her family hosted. She was overall nice and outgoing, but now she was just the devil. Shawn forgot about how Jess's friends would react and how they were extremely close with her. He silently cursed himself for not thinking about that.

"Maddy, calm down. You don't know the who-"

"SHUT UP! YOU HURT JESS AND NOW SHE IS NO LONGER YOU LITTLE CUPCAKE! SO SHUT YOUR DIRTY, EX-GIRLFIREND KISSING MOUTH AND LISTEN TO ME! YOU ARE SUCH A HORRIBLE PERSON AND TO THINK I EVER LIKED YOU, YOUR MUSIC, AND YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH MY CUPCAKE! YES, SHE IS MY CUPCAKE NOW, SINCE YOU DITCHED HER!!!!!" Shawn whinced at her words. To think that Jess was anyone else cupcake, even if it was just in a friend way, hurt him so much.

"Maddy, I never kissed Alli. I never ditched Jess. I am here and I want her to know how this is all a big misunderstanding. Please, do it for your friend's sake. Listen to ME." Shawn said demandingly.

Maddy was silent for some time. Then there was some buffering and Shawn could barely make out what the girls were saying, but he heard:

"Maddy, give me the phone." it sounded like Jess. Maddy argued, but it sounded like Jess yanked the phone from her friend's hand. Shawn was not sure if he heard it correctly, but it sounded like Maddy screamed "MUFFCAKE IS DEAD!" What was she talking about?

Shawn heard the clearing of a hoarse voice and braced himself for the worst.

"Shawn," Jess began, in a voice that broke Shawn's heart. She sounded so hurt and damaged. All by him. "I can tell you feel bad, but I don't know what to believe anymore and sadly, I am not sure if I can trust your words. So please stop calling me. I don't need to keep hearing you speak about how much you love me because...because it all sounds like one big blob of nothing." Jess's words hit Shawn like a wrecking ball with Miley Cyrus swinging on it. Then Jess said thank you and pressed end.

Jess did not want Shawn to keep calling her. But he needed to reach her. To get her to know the truth, that Alli was like wet dirt (mud) to him. It only got him filthy and annoyed him. On the other hand, Jess was like the sun, who shone upon him and brightened his day. Jess had to know that. So if she didn't like Shawn calling her, he would just have to go to her.

Shawn threw on some random shirt and pants, brushed his teeth, not even bothering to do his hair and ran to his car. He started the engine and headed for Jess's house. Next stop: fixing their relationship.