Camp

"JESSS!" Shae screamed and ran over to her friend as she walked into camp.

"Hey Shae." Jess said. The two girls walked to their groups meeting spot, meeting a few of their other friends along the way.

"Jess, can I have a word with you." The manager of the camp asked. Jess walked to the side with Carl, the manager.

"Yes?"

"So Shawn is going to come soon and we don't want any of the campers to know so can you please not say anything."

"I won't. I promise. He just texted me a few minutes ago. He should be here in less than ten minutes."

"Can you ask him to come through the back entrance so that campers do not see him?"

"Yeah, let me text him now."

"Thanks Jess! This is so amazing and we hope the kids like it!"

"Your welcome! Shawn is so happy to be coming! He absolutely loves what he does!" Jess said and took out her phone, texting Shawn. Jess's friends came over to her.

"Hey, what was that about?" her friend Isabella asked.

"Oh, nothing. Don't worry about it." The girls went over the outdoor games section of camp and started playing ping pong. Mid game, Jess was asked to leave again and come with the owner.

"Sorry guys. I can't really explain now, but I'll tell you later." Jess hurried off, feeling bad for not telling her friends. But Shawn's performance was supposed to be a secret. The owner led her to their performance hall, where the kids did plays and stuff. Backstage, was Shawn talking with Carl. When he saw Jess, he smiled and walked over to her.

"Hello cupcake!"

"Hi! Are you excited?!" Jess asked.

"Yeah, Im just...Never mind. Can't wait!" Shawn had a small frown, then caught himself and smiled again.

"Whats wrong?" Jess put her hand on his shoulder.

"Nothing. I'm fine. Really!" Shawn was trying to reassure Jess, but she was not buying it.

"Shawn, I know your lying. Tell me whats on your mind."

"Fine, I just worried that some people are not going to like me, you know. There are boys and girls here and what if some of them think Im stupid or stealing the fame of their idol." Shawn looked at the ground, his vulnerable side showing. Jess lifted his chin.

"Hey, you are amazing and you know it! If people don't like you than bleh them. They are missing out on a awesome, kind and talented guy. Remember what you said to me, don't care what others think. Because you know I love you and thats all that matters. Ok, I need to go. Carl is motioning for me to get the heck out of here so, good look! You will do spectacular!" Jess gave Shawn a quick kiss on the cheek and ran out of backstage, back to her friends. Groups were starting to take their places in seats.

"Whats going on?" Shae asked Jess.

"Uh, no idea. But lets get good seats. I know the front rows are for the younger campers but I was able to let us three sit in the third row." The three teenagers squished in with the four and five year olds, as all of the other kids their sat further back. Once everyone was situated, Carl went on the stage.

"Hello campers of Rolling Hills! Today, we have a special guest that will be performing for us today! Get ready for the one, the only, SHAWN MENDES!"

Shawn walked onto the stage and the crowd went wild. Many of the girls were screaming and saying "I LOVE YOU SHAWN!" Some boys were too, but mostly the girls. The younger kids, ages four to six, well, some of them knew who Shawn was because they had older siblings. And, who has not heard Stitches?! He looked at the crowd of over 500 campers and smiled. He finally found Jess and smiled even brighter.

"Hi guys! I am so excited to be performing for you today! Lets start off with something everyone knows." Then Shawn started singing Stitches. Everyone sang along, even the boys. After that, Shawn sang a few of his other songs.

"So, I am guessing that some of you guys are Justin Bieber fans?" he said. Girls and some councilors went crazy. Shawn laughed and started to sing Love Yourself. Jess was so happy to see Shawn having fun. The crowd was being very respectful and surprisingly, he got no hate yet. Jess knew that some of the boys would not like him and even some girls, but had hoped that no one would make a nasty comment. So far, everything was good.

"OMG! JESS WHY DID YOU NOT TELL US HE WAS COMING!" Jess's friends yelled at her. She shrugged and laughed. They were having a great time too.

Shawn ended up singing a little Justin and some Drake for the guys and then, started to speak a little.

"Ok guys, the next song is called Aftertaste. This is one of someone's favorite songs and I would like to have them come up here and sing it with me." Shawn looked at Jess. "This person has helped me so much throughout the past few months and I would like to thank them. Jess, please come on up here and sing with me."

Jess smiled and blushed as everyone looked at her. She really did not want to go up and perform in front of her whole camp. But her friends pushed her and made her walk up onto the stage. Shawn looked at her and then started playing his guitar.

"Re-rewind Friday night, never forget it

How you let me go

No more lies I'll be fine I know where I'm headed

Probably should've known..." The two of them sang together. Jess never felt so alive before. Everyone was looking at her. Her friends giving her thumbs up. Past councilors smiling. Some boys snorting at her. But she didn't care. It just felt so good to sing and finally not feel like she sounded horrible. Once the song was finished, Shawn gave Jess a hug whispered in her ear, "I love you so much. You did awesome." Jess smiled and rushed off stage. She at back down and her friends were bubbling with excitement. Shawn went on singing and Jess calmed down. 

A few minutes later, she felt a tap on her back and turned around. Behind her was a councilor and little girl on her lap.

The councilor said "Hi Jess. Kiana wants to tell you something. Go ahead." The little girl brushed the hair off her face and started to talk.

"You...you sound really pretty a-and I... you look pretty to-too. When I grow up...I want to sound just like you." Jess smiled and felt her heart melt. A little girl was telling her how great she did.

"Thank you so much! I know that when you grow up, your gonna sound even better than me!"

The girl laughed and smiled. Jess turned back around and Shawn finished up.

"Than you guys for listening! You are an awesome crowd. And many thanks to Carl for letting me preform! Bye guys! I will be going around camp for the rest of the day, so maybe you will catch me!" Shawn smiled warmly at everyone and walked off stage. Groups started to get up and walked away. Jess left her friends and pushed through the crowd to get backstage. 

But then, she skidded to a stop when she heard she boys her age talking.