Chapter 13- The Filling

The chair was laid back into the usual position. Both Brendon and Dr Weekes slid on their surgical gloves, creating squeaky snapping sounds. But this time I didn't mind it. Masks were placed on, covering their mouths' and noses. Even behind Brendon's mask, I could tell he was smiling in my direction, I just couldn't see.
Brendon positioned the light so it's gleam was in a satisfying position. Dr Weekes placed a clean bib onto my chest and the procedure was ready to take place. For some strange reason, I wasn't worried one little bit.
Like usual, Brendon used his gloved fingers to retract my cheeks for a closer view of my teeth. His face was in my line of sight, and I loved it. Numbing cream was rubbed in my mouth and soon enough my face couldn't be felt.
I didn't feel the need to close my eyes, so I watched every single thing that happened.
Brendon stood up from his stool and picked up a long sharp needle. He placed it into a liquid and sucked a small dose into the needle's tube. I noticed him squeeze the tool to check the liquid would leave the needle and sure enough it did. A tiny bit squirted and landed on Dr Weekes' head. Brendon's face turned red like a tomato and I chuckled to my self.
Then Brendon headed in my direction, so I quickly looked the other way so it looked as if I saw nothing. He sat down on his stool and tapped my lips gesturing for me to open up. Like usual, I obliged.
"You best close your eyes Lola, most people do for this part."
I gently closed my eye lids shut and felt my mouth being held open. The next thing I know I felt a slight pinching feeling in my lower gum but it was nothing too bad. Besides, I was no longer scared or worried. I then felt the liquid being inserted into my gums which made me feel funny, but I was a surviver. Soon enough the needle was removed from my mouth and no pain could be felt.
"Lola, you're doing such a great job! Keep this up and we'll be done in no time." His voice was so cheerful. I knew he was proud of me.
"Now it's time for the drill."
Drill? Oh no. That meant pain. I wasn't ready for this. Brendon fixed the drill together and led it in my direction.
"Open up Lola, you're so brave!"
For the first time ever, I refused. My mouth wouldn't open. Brendon repeated his words.
"Open up Lola" he repeated, still in his gentle tone of voice.
I shook my head 'no' and waited for a response. I was being childish and I knew it too.
"C'mon Lola. Please open up. We're almost done and you've been so brave so far. I promise I'll be as gentle as possible. Dr Weekes can hold your hand if you wish."