Chapter 38- Checking Alfie's Teeth

"Is there any chance you could open your mouth a tad wider, you're doing a great job!" Brendon's voice was so comforting, even for me!
Alfie tried opening his mouth wider, but struggled majorly. Brendon used one of his fingers on Alfie's bottom lip to steady his head and gently keep his mouth open. He used the other hand to hold the mirror, searching Alfie's mouth.
"Wow Alfie, you've got a little wiggly tooth!" Brendon mentioned, causing Alfie to sit up.
"Will the tooth fairy come?" Alfie asked excitedly, almost biting Brendon's finger off!
"If you're a good boy" Brendon told him, gently laying him back on to my chest.
"Could you open your mouth again for me Alfie?" Brendon asked, causing Alfie to obey.
"You're doing such a great job, the tooth fairy will definitely visit you!" This caused Alfie to half smile, not being able to fully smile due to Brendon's fingers being in his mouth.
Once Brendon had finished checking Alfie's teeth he removed the mirror and pulled down his mask.
"Wow Alfie, you're teeth are so good. You must brush them a lot!"
Alfie had officially stopped crying now.
"Yes, my mummy helps me brush them a lot!" Alfie stated.
"How would you like me to give them a quick brush for you now?" Brendon smiled.
"I think my mummy does a very good job, but okay" Alfie said, putting up his thumb.
"Yes, I can tell your mummy does a good job, they're very clean! I'll just give them a little brush myself, if you don't mind" Brendon told him, grabbing a toothbrush and some toothpaste from his cupboard. "Is mint toothpaste okay for you?" Brendon asked.
"I think so" Alfie pondered.
Brendon squeezed a pea size amount of toothpaste onto the toothbrush. It wasn't a toothbrush like the one he used for my cleaning though, it was just a regular everyday toothbrush.
"Okay Alfie, I'll sit the chair forward for me to brush your teeth. Do you want to sit on the chair on your own, I'm worried you may be hurting Lola's legs!" he giggled, looking for my response. I subtly nodded my head.
"Okay, I would like to be a big boy anyway" Alfie smiled, jumping off my lap.
I stood up out of the chair and stretched my legs. Brendon helped Alfie back on the chair.
"Okay Alfie, just going to brush those pearly whites of yours now" Brendon told him, tapping Alfie's front tooth with his gloved finger. Brendon didn't feel the need to pull his mask back up, so left it resting below his chin. "Open up please!" Brendon smiled.
Alfie opened up his mouth and Brendon began to brush in tiny circles around the backs of Alfie's teeth, being sure not to miss any spots. His face was full of concentration.
"Okay Alfie, can you put your back teeth together for me? Like this..." Brendon placed his back teeth together, showing Alfie what to do. Alfie followed and Brendon continued to brush in tiny circles.
"Okay Alfie, we're all done now. Just spit in the sink and we'll rinse with water." Brendon stated, putting away the toothbrush. "Lola."
My name. It took me by surprise.
"Yes?" I responded.
"Could you put on some gloves and rinse out Alfie's mouth please?"
Wow. I hadn't done anything like this all day. I felt mixed emotions. Excited. Yet worried. The young boy was laying on the chair, just waiting. I think Brendon could tell I was worried.
"Don't worry Lola, I'll help you if you need it" he smiled, staring into my eyes.
I snapped on some gloves and picked up the water squirter and suction, taking a seat on the stool beside the dental chair. I'd seen Brendon follow out this procedure many times today so I partially knew what I was doing.
"Okay Alfie, just going to rinse you off now." I told him.
To my surprise he immediately opened his mouth. I squirted water all around his teeth, following with the suction. It was quite fun and very fast!
"Good boy" I praised, removing the tools from his mouth.
Brendon sat up the chair and we both whacked off our gloves.
"Well Alfie..." Brendon began. "The dentist isn't that bad is it?" He laughed, patting Alfie's back.
"No it wasn't bad at all!" Alfie giggled. "Thank you very much" Alfie continued, hopping out of the seat.
"It's no problem" Brendon answered. "Now, do you have any questions before you leave?" He asked.
"Yes I do actually" Alfie stated. "Why are you teeth so shiny?" Alfie asked.
Brendon and we both laughed, looking at each other with great content.
"I clean my teeth well I guess, just like you" Brendon answered, leading Alfie out into the waiting room.
I followed them, and noticed Alfie's toy on the floor, so brought it with me.
We met Alfie's mum in the waiting room and he went running over.
"Mummy! Mummy!" he shouted, leaping into her arms.
"Hello honey!" She replied, hugging him tight. "How was the dentist?"
"Good!" Alfie replied.
Brendon and I walked over to join them.
"We had some tears at the beginning, but he let me check and brush his teeth like a very good boy!" Brendon smiled.
"And look mummy! I have a wobbly tooth!"
"That's wonderful darling! Thank you doctor!" She smiled, leading Alfie to the exit.
"Don't forget your toy Alfie!" I interrupted, handing it to him.
We exchanged goodbyes and went our separate ways.