Chapter 35- Bradley's Appointment

The clock stroke 9 o'clock and it was time for the day to officially begin. Brendon had told me we had to be professional until the working day was over. I agreed not wanting to upset my fellow college. He'd also told me that many children were terrified of the dentist and that I'd need to comfort them. I agreed to this too.
Brendon and I were sitting in his dental room until he told me to go collect our very first patient.
"Bradley Wilkinson is up first Lola. He's 13 years old and just here for a checkup." I nodded and left the room, ready to collect our first patient of the day.
I turned the corner to reach the waiting room and saw many petrified faces turn my way. They all looked at me, praying it wasn't their turn to be taken back into the dark and dingy room and placed on the life ending dental chair.
"Bradley Wilkinson please" I called looking over at the children.
A young boy stood up, he looked terrified! The boy had light blonde hair and nerd like glasses, the type a smart person would generally wear.
Bradley slowly approached me and I felt the need to comfort him.
"Hello Bradley, follow me and we'll get your appointment over and done with as fast as possible" I smiled.
I placed my hand on Bradley's shoulder and led him to the room where Brendon was waiting, ready to examine the poor boys teeth.
We entered the room and to my surprise Brendon already had his mask on his face, prepared for the examination. I heard Bradley let out a subtle whimper and I promised him everything would be okay.
Bradley took a seat in the chair, I could tell he was having trouble fighting back his tears.
Before anything else occurred, me and Brendon both slid on a pair of surgical gloves each. Again, I heard Bradley whimpering to himself. I felt so bad! I also placed a mask onto my face and we were prepared to view Bradley's teeth.
"Okay Bradley, just going to lay you back now" Brendon explained, using his soft and gentle voice. The chair laid back and I placed a bib onto Bradley's chest. "I'll use a mirror to check your teeth and this tool here to clear away any unwanted plaque."
I saw a single tear trickle down Bradley's face, so I gestured for Brendon to hurry up the procedure.
The light switched on and pointed in a perfect shot, giving us a great view of Bradley's mouth.
"Open up please" Brendon asked.
Bradley obeyed and soon enough Brendon was searching and scratching at Bradley's teeth. I felt extremely sorry for the young man. I rubbed his shoulder comforting him, I think it helped.
Brendon searched and scraped for around 5 minutes until he finished up, removing all tools from Bradley's mouth. He gave him a shot of water and soon enough Bradley was happy again.
"You're very good at cleaning your teeth young man! Good job."
We both applauded him and his cheek turned red.
"Tell your parents to book you in for another 6 months." Brendon had to call out due to Bradley rushing down the corridor in search for his mum.
"Kids are funny things" I joked, impersonating Bradely's run.
Brendon laughed and we cleared up, ready for the next patient.