Chapter 40- Max's Appointment

Brendon woke me up at 7:15 in the morning. He'd already showered and got changed into his doctor's coat and scrubs.
"Morning beautiful, you've got about half an hour until we have to leave. Breakfast is on the table. Let's move!"
He kissed my forehead and rushed to the bathroom to brush his teeth.

When it was time to leave I was all ready with my hair tied back, scrubs on and teeth brushed. We hopped in the car and were on our way!
"I'm going to ask Dr Weekes to give me a checkup after work tonight Lola, my mouth is hurting slightly" he told me as we drove along.
"You're mouth is hurting?" I asked, surprised. "But you're teeth are perfect!"
Brendon didn't reply.

We reached the dental practice and headed inside, there were already patients nervously waiting for their dreaded name call! There were some older people in the office today, but again mainly younger.
We entered Brendon's workspace and he immediately began setting up. "Okay Lola. First patient is Max Sharpe, 10 years old. Oooh, here's here for a tooth to be pulled, poor boy. All you'll need to do is use water to wash the blood out of his mouth Lola. Easy for you, tough for me."
I headed out the room to collect the first patient of the day. I turned the corner to see all the worried patients turn towards me.
"Max Sharpe, please" I called.
I young boy stood up with his mother and began to follow me down the corridor. Max was rather short with flat brown hair. He was wearing a snapback cap facing backwards. We entered Brendon's room and Max immediately threw himself onto the chair.
"Mum, you don't need to come in with me" he groaned to his mum, as she took a seat on the waiting chair in the room.
"Honey, it's okay. I know you're scared so I'm here for you!" she replied to her rude toned son.
He moaned at her.
Brendon sat on his stool beside the dental chair and began to speak to Max.
"Hello Max, how are you?" he asked, whilst pouring an assortment of tools onto his tray.
"Alright" Max bluntly said, rolling his eyes at Brendon.
"So today I'll be removing one of your back teeth so your teeth have room to grow good enough. Then we'll also be able to get your braces sorted out. Okay?"
Max folded his arms. "Sure."
"Okay Max, I just need to lay the chair back, would you mind removing your hat so your head is on the rest for me please?"
Again, Max groaned. "Fine." Max took of his hat and threw it at his mother.
Brendon and I looked at each other. How could this young boy be so rude?! I was sitting on the other stool in the corner of the room, just watching. I'd already got Max's data on the computer screen so Brendon knew exactly what he needed to do. Max's mum was just playing on her phone, with not a care in the world.
Brendon snapped on his surgical gloves and placed his mask over his mouth and nose. He then laid the dental chair back into the usual 180 degree angle and rolled his stool round beside Max's head, bringing a mirror with him.
"I'm just going to check out the tooth I'll be extracting Max, open up please?"
Max subtly opened his mouth.
"You'll need to open your mouth much wider than that Max!"
Max rolled his eyes and opened his mouth wider.
I watched Brendon search the specific area of Max's mouth where the tooth would be removed. Like usual, he used his gloved ringer to retract Max's cheek.
After a while, he removed the mirror from Max's mouth.
"Time to begin."