Chapter 4

My annoying alarm clock buzzed on the side of the bed. It was useless though as I reached and turned it off.

I was wide awake and couldn't sleep after fajr prayer and kept staring at the white business card that she had given me yesterday.

Amber Zaid, M.D

She's really something, I'll give her that. I didn't expect my first ever marriage meeting to go like this. I was hoping that when i would meet her, she would shy away from me and nod and smile like a nervous girl. Isn't that how girls are suppose to be like? I mean, yeah back in the day I had dozens of girlfriends and from my experience, girls tend to me a mix; either they are too shy or too forward.

As for Amber; I was expecting a Muslim girl, especially one of Asian origin, to be extremely shy. But boy, was I taken by surprise. She was neither shy nor forward. Rather, she was stoic and reserved. Especially about the way she reacted when the revelation of our age difference came to light.

I mean, that isn't even an issue. I wonder why she reacted the way that she did. Now that I think about it, she's awfully young to have completed her residency and became a MD. If you ask me, I think she must be brilliant to have done at such a young age.

Forget that, what about the outrageous demands that she made. If she wasn't so serious at the time I would've thought that she was joking bit her eyes and facial features emitted solemnness and serious any every sense.

I mean, why did she even make such ridiculous demands? What kind of a husband wouldn't want to get to know there wife and wouldn't want to be involved in the life of their spouse in every way?

From what I can deduce, I think she's an insecure person. What's there to be insecure about anyway? Maybe I might never know.

I sighed deeply and placed the card on the pillow as I yawned and sat upright.

Maybe I should reject this proposal. I don't think that we are compatible with each other.

Yeah, I think I should just tell the imam about my decision tonight.

I yawned again and popped my knuckles. After that i staggers to the bathroom to get ready.

**********

After a long day's work, I found myself driving towards the east to where my grandmother was. About an hour ago she called and insisted that i see her immediately. I panicked and quickly dealt with whatever I was doing and rushed to her.

As I parked my car out, I jumped out and ran towards the entrance. The home attendants were surprised to see me this late in the evening but I didn't bear them any mind.

"Grandma!" I burst through her door, causing her to flinch and gasp in shock.

"Oh Sonny, are you trying to give me a heart attack?" She exclaimed as she placed a hand on her heart.

I sighed and chortled heartily. "No but are you trying to give me one? Your call scare me out of my pants. Seriously Gran I don't wanna die so young yet." I joked truthfully and sat beside her on the bed.

"Keep your pants up, you naughty boy. And no your not gonna die anytime soon." She assured and pinched my cheek. I smiled and kissed her palm.

"But seriously Gran, your call scared the living day lights out me. I thought that you were in an accident or something, Astaghfirullah," I breathed and closed my eyes, laying my head on her lap.

She chucked and passed her hand through my hair, causing my tense body to relax. She knew exactly how much I loved it whenever she did that. She has always sone this since I was small. The soothing feeling of her soft finger passing lovingly on my head was just peaceful and sublime. I'm grateful to Allah that He blessed me such a wonderful grandmother. She's the only mother that i have ever known.