Chapter 35

ZAKRIYA ISLAM

She's slept so peacefully and I'm so relieved. Her relaxed and peaceful face is enough to make me smile. Carefully, I extended my hand and caressed her cheek.

It's been a week after she confessed herself to me and I cant help but be in awe of her. She's been through so much and she's been all alone in it too. However, I have promised myself and her that I will never let her suffer alone. Actually, I will never allow even a single tear to slip through her eyes again. If any tears will be shed, they will be happy tears. I will never let her feel alone or sad ever again. I'll love her so much that she'll start to move on again in life. I sense that she's still being haunted by the demons of her past. Of course, who wouldn't be. But inshaa Allah, I know that things will work out from now on.

She terminated the contract of her demands, earning my full appreciation. I was glad that she learned to trust the fact that I wouldn't be leaving her. Her insecurities were starting to wear off slowly but there was still a long way to go. I had fully understood why she had placed those demands in the first place and I respected them but they restricted me in making more out f my relationship with my wife so I couldn't have been more happy when she tore the contract in front of me and called in her lawyer, clearing everything up. And that was when I made a promise to myself—I would never betray or hurt this woman who has now put so much trust in me. We've promised each other that there will be no more secrets between us. Of course, I don't expect her complete honesty, but in time, she'll come around.

I resumed work on a full time basis. Mr. Shehzad was kind enough to offer me a stable position to work in. Amber was stable enough as well however, I still didn't trust her enough to leave the house without me or otherwise telling me about her whereabouts beforehand, and surprisingly, she agreed with me wholeheartedly. She still didn't join work yet because she was still unsure of herself. She has lost confidence in herself so much that even she doesn't trust herself anymore. It hurts to know that however, I'll help her through this slump.

There was still an hour left in Fajr so I tried to sleep again but failed miserably. Sitting up, I ran my hand through my hair and decided to go to the masjid. After a short refreshing shower, I changed into the Shalwar Kurta that Amber had gifted me; strangely, I felt more comfortable in these type of clothes.

After arriving at the Masjid, I stayed there till the prayers were offered. I had decided to walk to here. While I was heading back to the apartment complex, the fresh warm air around me helped me to clear my mind a little bit. I sort of missed New York these days. Especially Gran.

When I got back, Amber was still sleeping so I fixed myself some breakfast. After getting dressed and ready for work, I leaned in and planted a slow kiss on Amber's forehead.

The day was long but passed by in a blur. My proposal for the new provisional contracts was approved by the board so that was something to celebrate about. I would call Amber after every hour to check up on her. She usually wakes up around 10 am. However, when she didn't attend my 10:30 call, I got a bit antsy. She didn't attend any of my calls and I began to get worried. Thankfully, I was free from work by Zohr time so I quickly made my way home. I got stuck in the traffic for almost an hour, adding further into my worries. I sighed with relief when I got free from the traffic and sped fast towards home.

My nerves were shot, my mind coming up with the most worse of scenarios. Maybe I was too quick to trust her so easily. I shouldn't have been so soft with her. I should've known that she was an addict and addicts don't relent so easily.

Oh God, what the hell was I thinking? I shouldn't be down grading her when se herself doesn't believe in herself. At least I should trust her that she hasn't done anything reckless. No, I'm sure she's okay. She must be busy or probably having a shower. But for four hours straight?