Chapter 39

"What?"

Amber is dead? My Amber is dead? No, he must be joking. I felt angry at him and tried to remain calm.

"What kind of a sick joke is this?!" I roared and jumped to my feet. They flinched at the tone of my voice—Brig. Zaid's expression softened and saddened further and his eyes teared up while his wife's cries and sobs increased.

"Please son, try to keep a level head in this. I know that it's hard for you to take this news but it's the truth. We—"

"No don't you dare say that!" I shouted, my eyes shooting daggers at him. "Don't lie to me just don't," I shouted, feeling a lump rise in my throat as my eyes welled up.

Amber can't be dead. The mere thought sent my heart into overdrive. I felt so much hurt entering my heart.

"This is a prank isn't it? Amber has to be playing this joke, right." I let out a dry chuckle. "Okay come on Amber, enough of this. You got me!" I said aloud. "Come on out babe. I don't like this. It isn't funny!" I bellowed.

"Please son, try to understand. Amber she's," he stopped and broke down. I covered my mouth to hold in my sobs.

Amber—my precious wife. Her face flashed in my eyes—that cute nose, small lips, that tanned luscious skin set against her beautiful onyx eyes. The thought of never having to gaze into those gorgeous eyes that held so much sincerity broke my heart into a million pieces. I felt as if my heart was being ripped out of my chest as it began to hurt so much.

No, I can't believe this. I refuse to believe this.

"Zac, I'm so sorry. I was there with her yet I failed to protect her. She was my precious daughter yet I failed." Brig. Zaid's broken voice brought me out of my thoughts. "But she's a martyr baita. You should be proud that your wife died a martyr's death. I know that I am." He stated proudly yet the sorrow was evident in his eye and expression.

"Don't please I, . . ."

"Daddy?" I was taken aback when Ayesha entered the room, rubbing her sleepy eyes with her hands. My breath got held up in my throat and I walked straight to my little angel and pulled her in my arms, my tears running freely.

"Daddy what's wrong? Why are you crying?" she asked, her voice so innocent. "And why are Naana and Naani here?" she asked. I tightened my arms around my little girl and tried to control my sobs. How could Amber do this to me? No, she didn't, she'll be back home soon.

"Nothing baby," I whispered and kissed her forehead. Though her features resembled mine, she looked so much like Amber. "Why don't you go back to bed? Come on I'll tuck you in." I offered with a week smile and wiped my tears away. Her blue eyes scrutinized me with confusion but I quickly took her to bed and tucked in. kissing her forehead, I stayed by her side till she was asleep. I glanced over at Zeeshan and he was still sound asleep.

"Oh God." I choked lowly and covered my mouth.

It can't be true. Amber can't just up and leave me and the kids like this. She can't do that to us.

When I got out of their room, my in laws were still crying and sobbing quietly.

"Baita," he began again but I raised my hand and stopped him from talking. "When will she be here?" I inquired my voice hollow.

"In two more hours. I've arranged for her burial and the funeral arrangements. Son, please I know that it's a tragedy, but please baita, you have to be strong. You need to be strong for yourself and the kids." He tried to reason with me but my mind was blank. I wasn't understanding anything or even trying anymore.