Chapter 42

With a heavy sigh, I opened the door and stepped inside.

The kids were still sleeping. There was still an hour till they woke up but I couldn't help myself. After Fajr, I had this urge to just go to them and hold them in my arms.

I went up to Ayesha and took the cover off of her small body.

This time has been specifically hard on. She's been asking me for so long about her mother but I didn't have the heart to tell her he truth.

Carefully, I placed my hands under her arms and lifted her up in my arms. She stirred and groaned as her brows strunched up. I chuckled.

Wow, I can't believe I feel so light after so long that I feel like chuckling.

This whole ordeal has really taken a toll on me. Amber's death really shook me and I couldn't be myself. I can't believe I've been neglecting my kids for so long as well as my responsibilities.

Now that Amber is gone, all of her responsibilities have fallen on my shoulders.

But not anymore.

My love, Amber, you've given me the courage to move forward. I stayed up all night praying to Allah and thanking Him for making me so blessed.

You may be gone Amber, but you're still alive in my heart and that's the way it's going to be from now on.

Yes I'm still grieving, but I'll be strong from now on.

Our kids need that.

Your parents need that.

And your accomplishments and work need that.

I promise that I'll never be weak again.

That the thing about love: it hurts you, breaks you and damages you but in the end, it head you.it gives you courage.

And your love Amber; even though you never said those words that I desperately wanted from you, but I know and have recognised that love.

"Hey," I whispered softly in my daughter's ear. Her soft girly smell of lilies and cotton candy invaded my nostrils. I smiled as I hugged her closely.

Amber loved to spoil the kids. She always made sure they had the best of everything. She was especially conscious about Ayesha and I still this habit in her to always wear her signature scent just like herself.

Like mother like daughter I suppose.

"Mmm, mainay sona hai! (I want to sleep)" she whined.

I smiled and stroked her soft blond hair. That is another thing she takes after me. "Come on princess, wake up," I cooed in her ear. "Mai aap ko kuch dikhana chahta hoon, (I want to show you something.)" I said and carried her out of the room.

"Kia hai daddy? (what is it daddy?)" she whined and tightened her arms around my neck.

I took her to the kitchen and sat her down on a bar stool.

She scowled at me, her eyes squinting with sleepiness. I patted her hair and gave her a bright smile. "Come on princess, won't you help daddy with breakfast?" I inquired.

"No!" She deadpanned and tried to get down from the stool but I was quick. I took her in my arms and threw her in the air and caught and threw her again.

The air became heavy with her giggles and laughter of joy. Even though she was seven years old, she loved it whenever I would do this. Ever since she grew up, she got heavy and I couldn't do this anymore but I knew my baby girl was sulking because of my rude behaviour with her and I wanted to cheer her up.