Chapter 9

ZACKRIYA ISLAM

I sighed as I collapsed on the bed and straightened my back.

Routine has finally settled. I joined work and also the Urdu learning centre. Thankfully, everything has been running very smoothly alhamdulillah.

Today had been a long day as well. My introduction at the office and work started off lightly but them things got fast as the day progressed. And before I knew it, the week passed in a blur.

I liked the environment and most of all the people- they were pretty nice. I sighed and tried to relax.

Thinking of Bree, she's been so busy herself that I didn't get to spend as much time with her as I should. I only got to see her at breakfast and after she would drop me off at work, and when she would pick me up by evening and then only at dinner I could make some small talk with her. And thinking about her, I learned that she's a hardcore workaholic. She spends twelve hours in the hospital and when we get home, she engages herself in chores and dinner and after we are done, she locks herself in her study and starts work all over again.

But I was getting sort of frustrated-- first of all, we didn't have a honeymoon so I've decided that as soon as I've settled down in the job and saved enough money then I'll take Bree on a honeymoon to the Maldives. And the other thing was that I was absolutely dependent  on my wife for my transportation. I wanted to take a bus or taxi but Bree didn't agree. She told me that as long as I need to go anywhere then she'll take me there. But that's not the issue. I'm a man and I can't stand that my wife is doing so much for me out of her and I'm causing her so much inconvenience. I needed to sort this problem out. Thankfully in this week I memorized most of the familiar routes from home to the office and I noticed a Honda showcase on the way. I even paid it a visit during one of my breaks from work and already ordered a brand new car. I was surprised  though, that I could easily afford a brand new car here and within the range of $5000 whereas in the US that seems like a long shot.

Thankfully it's a Saturday tomorrow and the car will also arrive. I'm sure that Bree will also be at home. I can't wait to surprise her.

I don't know when I dosed off but when I woke up it was morning already. I rubbed my face in frustration  when I realized that I didn't attend my Fajr prayers. I couldn't find Amber on the bed. I got up and freshened up. I got out of the room and headed towards the kitchen. Taking a glass of water, I looked around.

Bree, where are you?

I went to the study and I was surprised to find Amber sleeping on the ground with so many files and papers surrounding her. I sighed and went to her. Her face appeared restless but she slept so soundly. Her hair was tied in a braid. I carassed her cheek. Carefully, I held her and wound her arm around my neck. Slipping my arms beneath her shoulders and her knees, I got up but stumbled. Whoa, she's heavy. I didn't notice it till now.

I tried to be as careful as possible but she's was so heavy that I began to stumble and she woke up.

"Kia?" She breathed and got down. "What are you doing? There wasn't any need for this." She snapped, her cheeks and ears turning red. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you. I was only trying to get you to bed." I explained, scratching the back of my head. I don't know why she was getting angry.

She composed herself and put on her pokerface. She always does this.

"There's no need for it. You should've woken me up instead." She said and headed towards the door. "I'll have breakfast ready, get freshened up." She said and exited the study. I just stood there dumbfounded. Maybe she's just shy. After all, maybe she hasn't been held bridal style yet.