Chapter 40

HALEEMA RAHEEL

Today is marked as the saddest and most tragic day of my life.

I just lost my best friend—Amber.

I know that she's a martyr and I should be proud of her noble death, but it has left us at a loss; Amber left behind two children as orphans and a husband as a widower.

"Khaala, what's going on? Where is mom?" Ayesha asked me for the hundredth time and I had no idea what I was suppose to tell her. How do you tell a seven year old that their mother has died? And Zeeshan, he's been quiet and doing his homework as if nothing matters to him.

Sniffing, I tried to smile. "Why don't you ask your father about that." I admit, I'm a coward. I have no idea how to handle this situation. Ayesha looked at me with so much hope that I would satisfy her curiosity but I just couldn't. she resembled Zac bhai in so many ways. While Zeeshan resembled Amber so much.

"Khaala, why are there so many people here? What's all this about?" she questioned. I had taken the kids to their bedroom while Aaliya and Mrs. Zaid led the ladies for the Qur'an recitation in the living room. Brig. Zaid was handling the funeral procession because Zac bhai was in denial.

"I'll be right back. Please stay in this room two of you and don't come out, okay." I instructed.

"But khaala, I want daddy. Where is he?" she whined. Sighing, I kneeled down to her level and tried my best to keep my tears at bay. "I'm going to go and get him, okay." I murmured softly and gently pulled her into a hug.

I love these kids so much—they are Amber's nishaani.

I went to the living room. All the ladies were quietly reading the Qur'an and some were weeping especially Aaliya and her mother—why wouldn't they? They just lost the jewel of the family.

My heart constricted when I saw Amber's body lying in a wooden casket in the centre of the room. Only her face was not wrapped in the white kaffan shroud. The tears that I was trying so hard to control came rushing out. Who knew that she would live such a short life? One moment she was happy and with her family and now this.

But I was glad of one thing—Amber died a happy and content woman.

Now that I look at her face in death, she looks so peaceful, her face alight with a certain contentment and tranquility with the light of martyrdom.

I was glad when I came to know that Amber had reconciled with her family many years ago. Amber was so happy and she deserved it too. And from the look of it, I can tell that she embraced death with no regrets.

I saw Zac bhai sitting beside her casket, his head low and eyes trained on Amber's face. There was an absolute broken expression marring his features as his swollen eyes and red nose and cheeks kept at a constant. The tears flowing endlessly down his face. I suppose he finally came into grip with Amber's death. My heart broke, seeing him like this. I've always known him to be such a charming and cheerful fellow. This is the first time I'm seeing him cry and look so lost.

Who could blame him though? Amber was the love of his life. He loved her with all his heart. And her death must've left him tragically heartbroken.

And it happened.

When the time for the burial proceedings came, he broke into a fit. Uncle Zaid had to hold him down as Amber's body was taken for burial. I cried even more when I saw the poor man break and call after Amber.

"Please, for God's sake, don't take my Amber away from me!" he hollered as uncle Zaid kept a firm grip on him to prevent him from disturbing the burial proceedings. Even uncle Zaid, who I've known to be such a strong man, began to cry on Zac's shoulder. Mrs. Zaid had fainted by the time the hall was emptied as everyone left.