Chapter 15

I know what I did was impulsive and stupid and I do regret it. I mean, after all those insults on a man's ego and manhood, I wouldn't have been surprised if Zac would've hit me but he didn't.

I saw him quiver with anger and his eyes ablaze. He wanted so badly to either hit me or hurt something to let out his anger but he didnt.

Forever a gentleman, that much became apparent.

But my ego was bigger. I couldn't take it easy unless I knew that he didn't or did have a problem. After that disastrous morning, i spend the night at the hospital but the next daybwhen i came back, i found the apartment empty. I became worried. He was a stranger to this city and he still didnt know much about the whereabouts of karachi.He wouldnt even attend my calls or reply to my messages but when I called his secretary, my worry ended on knowing that he was staying at one of the company's  affiliated hotels and was coming to work.

And when he threw his reports on my face, I knew that I had to apologize for my jumping to conclusions. It's my fault, I've kept him in the dark. I think if I come clean about my ulterior motives then maybe he'll understand and cooperate with me. It was  hard for me to swallow my ego but I knew that the right thing to do was to apologize. After all, I still need him.

I was waiting for him that night but he didn't come back. He was still sulking. I cant blame him for doung so. I decided that i would pay him a visit in his office and then apologize. However, I was taken aback when he showed up so late at night and in a disheveled state.

And he left without so much as a reason and i don't know why i didn't ask him the reason as well-- its not like i don't have any interest in knowing about him but i feared that if i inquired, then perhaps i would be intruding in his privacy.

His sudden leave to America got me worried-- its not like our relationship was in a stable state at the moment: what if he decides to not come back? What then? if he left in such a hurry then it only means that he had an emergency and it must involve his grandmother: I understand that he's  very close to her. Allah, I hope nothing bad happened. It must've been serious otherwise he wouldn't have left in a hurry.

And his reply, 'I don't know'

Goes to show that he's indecisive. Maybe my suspicion is correct. Maybe he really isn't going to come back.

Fine by me I suppose.

Thank God that i didn't tell about my marriage to anyone-- his appearance at the hospital was covered up that he was an associate of mine from the US embassy. Only Haleema knew the truth.

Oh well, even if I'm expecting divorce then it's okay. I had anticipated it anyway but for some reason, my heart is feeling a small pain-- like I don't want it to end or something.

But of course, you can't force someone to stay with you especially when you never gave their any importance and made them feel disrespected.

So, I will have to go to the US and settle the matter because it was stipulated in our contract that if it came to divorce then I'll be the one to set the terms.

My visa wasn't expired yet so five days after his departure, I made the decision to leave. It wasn't easy to book my ticket especially when flights  scheduled to NYC were limited so I got a flight to Washington DC instead.

After twenty seven hours, I arrived back in DC. Luckily, I got an early flight to New York the next day. I arrived late. Thankfully I knew Zac's address.

When the cab stopped I'm front of his condo building, I felt nervous all of a sudden. "That'll be $19, ma'am." The can driver said. I quickly gave him the money and jumped out of the cab.